[Txabs] Nabs needs your letters!

Jonathan Franks jfranks at nfbtx.org
Mon Sep 7 23:14:56 UTC 2015

Are you a current student or recent graduate of a college or
university who has been forced to struggle in your classroom because
of inaccessible instructional materials? If so, the legislative
committee of the National Association of Blind Students, a proud
division of the National Federation of the Blind, needs your help. We
are currently seeking testimony that we can share with your member of
Congress concerning problems blind students are encountering while
attempting to utilize inaccessible learning media. Examples might
include: inaccessible e-readers and tablets, difficult to read
electronic media such as improperly tagged or inaccessible PDF files,
and course management software that cannot be accessed by students
using screen readers. We also need to know if your school's
registration process allows you to sign up for classes independently,
and whether or not you can read course descriptions and access
collaboration software used on your campus.

I am the person designated to gather stories from students in Texas.
So, I encourage you to take a few minutes to write a short narrative,
and submit it to me at jfranks at nfbtx.org. Please include your physical
address so we can submit your comments to your representative in
Congress. If you need help drafting your comments, please feel free to
contact me for assistance. I also encourage people who are not
students, but who wish to support our effort to make post-secondary
education more accessible for blind students, to write letters that
state your position on this important issue. You may also submit your
letters to me at the email address listed here. Thanks for your help,
and let's work together to make full access to the university
classroom a reality for all blind students.

I have attached a sample letter written by NABS President Sean Whalen
to help guide your letters. However, I do encourage you to write these
letters in your own words to best reflect your own personal stories
and struggles.

I look forward to receiving your submissions

Jonathan Franks
Board Member
National Federation of the Blind of Texas
Treasurer
Texas Association of Blind Students