[Txabs] Nabs still needs your letters

Jonathan Franks jfranks at nfbtx.org
Fri Sep 18 21:15:04 UTC 2015

Hello Texas Federationists,
I am still collecting testimony letters for the Higher Ed bill
regarding inaccessibility in College and University settings. I highly
encourage you all to please write your letters in support of the
movement to make accessibility in Higher Education a reality, Please
see my message below for more information:

Are you a current student or recent graduate of a college or
   university who has been forced to struggle in your classroom because
   of inaccessible instructional materials? If so, the legislative
   committee of the National Association of Blind Students, a proud
   division of the National Federation of the Blind, needs your help. We
   are currently seeking testimony that we can share with your member of
   Congress concerning problems blind students are encountering while
   attempting to utilize inaccessible learning media. Examples might
   include: inaccessible e-readers and tablets, difficult to read
   electronic media such as improperly tagged or inaccessible PDF files,
   and course management software that cannot be accessed by students
   using screen readers. We also need to know if your school's
   registration process allows you to sign up for classes independently,
   and whether or not you can read course descriptions and access
   collaboration software used on your campus.

   I am the person designated to gather stories from students in New Mexico.
   So, I encourage you to take a few minutes to write a short narrative,
   and submit it to me at jfranks at nfbtx.org. Please include your physical
   address so we can submit your comments to your representative in
   Congress. If you need help drafting your comments, please feel free to
   contact me for assistance. I also encourage people who are not
   students, but who wish to support our effort to make post-secondary
   education more accessible for blind students, to write letters that
   state your position on this important issue. You may also submit your
   letters to me at the email address listed here. Thanks for your help,
   and let's work together to make full access to the university
   classroom a reality for all blind students.

   I have attached a sample letter written by NABS President Sean Whalen
   to help guide your letters. However, I do encourage you to write these
   letters in your own words to best reflect your own personal stories
   and struggles.

   I look forward to receiving your submissions

   Jonathan Franks
   Board Member
   National Federation of the Blind of Texas
   Treasurer
   Texas Association of Blind Students