[Vabs] Job Opening on the NFB-Newsline Team
SWhite at nfb.org
Tue Dec 30 19:53:40 UTC 2008
Subject: Job opening on the NFB-NEWSLINE team
I am writing to inform you that we have an
opening at the National Center for the Blind in
Baltimore, Maryland for a Manager of Content for
Sponsored Technology. Please see below or visit
the below web site for a job description and instructions on how to apply.
Scott A. White
Director of Sponsored Technology Programs
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND
1800 Johnson Street
Baltimore, Maryland 21230
Telephone: (410) 659-9314, ext. 2231
Fax: (410) 685-5653
Email: <mailto:swhite at nfb.org>swhite at nfb.org
Manager of Content for Sponsored Technology
Under the supervision of the Director of
Sponsored Technology Programs, the Manager of
Content for Sponsored Technology has primary
responsibility for maintaining quality control of
the information presented on NFB-NEWSLINE® as
well as the addition of new content on the
service. The manager acts as the point of
contact between content providers and
NFB-NEWSLINE®. Additionally the manager assists
the Director of Sponsored Technology with other
sponsored technology activities as needed.
* Monitors the NFB-NEWSLINE® system for
stability, identifies problem issues and takes
appropriate corrective measures.
* Investigates and responds to system trouble
reports from subscribers and state sponsors' management.
* Communicates with stakeholders on the
status of any repairs and projected timelines.
* Performs periodic system and content checks
to verify that the service is performing properly
and resolves any issues discovered.
* Routinely throughout the day monitors the
updating of NFB-NEWSLINE® content to discover any discrepancies.
* Identifies the reason for any discrepancies
found and communicates with the content provider
or staff members to facilitate resolution of the
issue, continuing to track the content problem until it is fully resolved.
* In conjunction with the Director, provides
the technical staff with direction on the
priority level of content fixes and additions.
* Designs, implements, and manages a
newspaper content escalation process for
reporting and resolving newspaper content problems and issues.
* Provides management with weekly and
biweekly reports on the status of outstanding content issues and additions.
* Participates in an on-call rotation with
other team members for evening and weekend resolution of system issues.
* Handles all aspects of acquiring content
for the NFB-NEWSLINE® service, including initial
contact and negotiation of contract with content
providers, communicating technical requirements
to the IT staff of the content provider, and
ensuring quality control of the newly acquired
content prior to its public release.
* Monitors all newspaper contracts,
identifies out-of-date contracts and brings these
contracts up to our current standards.
* Provides Level 1 general support to users
regarding registration for service, changes in
contact information, and general questions.
* Provides Level 2 support and
troubleshooting of technical issues reported by
stakeholders and either resolves the issue or
communicates it to appropriate personnel for resolution.
* Provides support and training to state
sponsors and coordinators on the use of the administration Web site.
* Makes updates and additions to the
NFB-NEWSLINE® Web site using a content management system when required.
* Processes online forms from the Web site
such as the application for service and e-mail delivery.
* Recommends NFB-NEWSLINE® feature
enhancements and initiatives to the Director of
Sponsored Technology based on sponsor and subscriber feedback.
* Ability to execute multiple tasks efficiently and effectively;
* Ability to self-manage multiple projects
simultaneously and meet deadlines;
* A basic understanding of XML, HTML and FTP
as an essential qualification;
* The ability to set priorities and establish work routines independently;
* Excellent oral and written communication skills;
* Ability to learn new skills quickly;
* Ability to deliver oral presentations to small and large groups;
* Ability to communicate well with a wide
variety of people and to troubleshoot problems;
* Excellent follow-up skills;
* Demonstrated skill in use of Microsoft
Office Suite, including Word, Excel, Access, Power Point, and Outlook;
* Ability to perform basic computer tasks
required for the efficient operation of a business office.
A High School diploma is required. Other
combinations of education and experience
demonstrating qualifications to perform the work will be considered.
Some out-of-state overnight travel is required.
Requires an individual with above-average
commitment to making a difference for a
significant group of human beings frequently
denied full opportunity in society. There are no
positions in the traditional sense at the
National Center for the Blind for many of our
jobs. Candidates are hired on the basis of their
education and experience ratings and performance
in multiple interviews and then assigned where
needed. We seek individuals who long to identify
with a cause and to assist in advocacy for a
group long denied equal opportunity to succeed or
fail on the basis of ability, not be denied
opportunity on the basis of societys
stereotypes. Applicants should send, preferably
via e-mail, a résumé and cover letter indicating
salary requirements to: Anthony Cobb, Director
of Human Resources, National Federation of the
Blind, 1800 Johnson Street, Baltimore, MD 21230;
telephone 410-659-9314, ext. 2281; fax
<mailto:Acobb at nfb.org>Acobb at nfb.org. The
National Federation of the Blind is an equal
opportunity employer. Accordingly all terms and
conditions of employment will be carried out
without regard to race, creed, color, religion,
gender, sexual orientation, nationality, marital status, age, or disability.
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: Job opening on the NFB-NEWSLINE team 2008-12-30.rtf
Size: 1235 bytes
Desc: not available
More information about the VABS