[Vabs] NABS Leadership Update

Arielle Silverman nabs.president at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 01:49:29 UTC 2009

Hello NABS members:

       Last weekend the National Association of Blind Students held our
annual business meeting in conjunction with the NFB convention in
Detroit. At this year’s business meeting we heard from several of our
former presidents and they taught us a lot about the history and
legacy of our organization and about how we can continue that legacy.
We also got some updated information from RFB, BookShare and about
recent developments regarding the Kindle DX issue. Finally, we
conducted elections and I was elected to serve as the next president
of NABS. I am deeply honored to continue serving this organization and
to join the ranks of those who have come before me, and I would like
to thank all of you for your support  and for your assistance with
making the business meeting and Monte Carlo Night fund-raiser run as
smoothly as possible.

Several others joined our NABS board for the first time. The complete
list of officers and board members is:
President: Arielle Silverman
First Vice-President: Karen Anderson
Second Vice-President: Sean Whalen
Secretary: Janice Jeang
Treasurer: Nijat Worley
Board Member 1: Isaiah Wilcox
Board Member 2: Meghan Whalen
Board Member 3: Domonique Lawless
Board Member 4: Darian Smith
Congratulations to all who were elected. Additionally, we had several
other NABS members who sought election to the board, and consequently
ended up with more interested persons than we could include on the
board. I see this as a good sign that we have a substantial group of
students who care about NABS and helping us to achieve our goals. If
you ran for a board position but were not elected or even if you
didn’t run for a board position but still want to make a contribution
to NABS, there is plenty of work to go around. Stay tuned for an
announcement in the next week or two about NABS committees and  how to
join them. I would also like to set up some telephone focus groups in
the next few months to get your feedback on how we can improve
specific aspects of NABS such as the Student Slate, Website,
convention activities, state division outreach and election policies.
If you want  your voice to be heard, stay tuned  for more details
about these conference calls.

Also, from now on please direct all NABS inquiries to
Nabs.president at gmail.com
The official email address shown on our Website,
president at nabslink.org
also works, but email from both addresses will go to the same place. I
will check this organizational email address daily, and I or another
NABS board member will reply to your query within three days of
receiving it. You can also call me with any questions or  concerns at
602-502-2255
And again, someone will return all phone messages within three days.

I will be sending out a president’s bulletin to the NABS listserv and
the state division lists during the first week of each month. This
bulletin will contain updates about NABS activities as well as other
announcements of interest such as information about state and regional
student division events and news from the NFB Jernigan Institute, RFB,
BookShare, etc. If you  have an announcement that  you would like to
appear in the next president’s bulletin, please send it to me before
the first of the month at noon.

Finally, if you are currently president of a state student division,
please email me off-list with your state, phone number, email address
and whether or not you’re subscribed to  the NABS-Presidents listserv.
I want to be sure the Website and my master state contact list is
updated and that everyone gets on the Presidents list who should be on
it. If you are in a state that doesn’t have a student division yet and
you want to serve as the student contact for your state, also send me
this information.

I’m looking forward to an exciting and productive two years with NABS,
and hope all  of you will join me in making NABS as strong as it can
be!