[Vabs] National Federation of the Blind of Virginia Gives the Gift of Independence to Blind Children through Local Braille Training Program

Freeh, Jessica JFreeh at nfb.org
Wed Aug 4 02:40:14 UTC 2010

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

CONTACT:
Tracy Soforenko
President, Potomac Chapter
(703) 635-2085
PotomacNFB at verizon.net

National Federation of the Blind of Virginia Gives the Gift of Independence
  to Blind Children through Local Braille Training Program

Arlington, Virginia (August 3, 2010): Local members of the National
Federation of the Blind (NFB) are sponsoring a two-week Braille
training program for blind children.  The Braille Enrichment through
Literacy and Learning (BELL) program is designed to provide blind
children and children with low vision ages four through twelve with
two weeks of intense Braille instruction via hands-on learning and fun.

The BELL program, which started on July 26 and is continuing through
August 6, is being held at the Lyon Village Community House in
Arlington, Virginia.  During the program, children will become
acquainted with how useful Braille can be as an alternative to
reading print. Students will be immersed in activities that will
center on Braille literacy.  For example, children will learn about
the Braille code and will also learn several other alternative
nonvisual techniques for being organized. This will be accomplished
through a combination of arts and crafts, games, outdoor activities,
and field trips.

"We are raising a generation of functionally-illiterate blind
children who are unable to read or write as well as their peers
because they don't have the correct tools or training," said Dr. Fred
Schroeder, president of the National Federation of the Blind of
Virginia and former commissioner of the Rehabilitation Services
Administration.  "Today, fewer than half of all legally blind high
school students will graduate.  Knowing and using Braille can make
the difference between a lifetime of dependence or getting a job."

Adults know the powerful connection between knowing Braille and
employment.  With 70 percent of blind Americans unemployed, it is no
accident that 90 percent of the employed blind know Braille.

In spite of the bleak employment statistics for the blind, only 10
percent of blind children are currently learning Braille.  To combat
the lack of Braille training for our youth, the BELL program is led
by a certified teacher of the blind and a teacher of the blind in
Virginia who are serving as the core instruction team from the
National Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute, along with the
participation of positive blind role models and local volunteers.

Theresa Willis from Virginia Beach, a blind parent of a blind student
said: "I have retinitis pigmentosa and have never read a book in my
life.  I have read a chapter but have given up after that because it
was too hard with eye strain and headaches.  I don't want that for my
child and this program has given her what our school district will
not.  My daughter also has RP and if she learns Braille, she won't
come home from school crying at the end of the day because her eyes
are tired and she has headaches.  I want her to be able to read books
that I have never been able to."

Michael Fish, a teacher of blind students in Arlington said: "Many
people believe that students with any usable vision should not learn
Braille. The BELL program provides Braille instruction paired with a
demonstration that blind and low vision students can accomplish
anything through the use of alternative techniques.  The program has
given parents networking opportunities, support from blind role
models, and a positive image of the possibilities their children can achieve."

The program concludes on Friday, August 6, with an award ceremony
honoring the achievement of the students.

##