[VABS] An Introduction from a Temporary Virginian

Christopher Nusbaum nusbaum_c at lynchburg.edu
Fri Aug 25 02:30:49 UTC 2017

Hello Federation Family:

I have often heard it said by other Federationists that one of the great
benefits of joining our organization is that, wherever we go, we can take
comfort in the knowledge that members of our Federation family are there to
welcome and support us in our new permanent or temporary home. I now know
for myself the truth of that statement, which is why I joined this list and
why I’m writing to you today.

Some of you have probably heard my name pop up on occasion, whether in
connection with my work in our Maryland affiliate, my past service on the
Board of the National Association of Blind Students, or other Federation
activities in which I have participated. I recognize many of your names
from connections made at our recent regional seminar in June. For those who
don’t know me or who would like to know more about this random guy now
seeking involvement in VABS, my name is Chris Nusbaum, and I hail from
Maryland. I currently serve as President of the Maryland Association of
Blind Students—a division from which Robert apparently wants to steal me.
LOL. Anyway, I am now in Virginia attending Lynchburg College, where I’m
majoring in Special Education with the end goal of being a teacher of blind
students.

Much of my life has been dedicated to the Federation, and I remain
passionate about our work even as I adjust to college life. Therefore, I
would like to offer myself up to Robert and our leaders in Virginia as
someone who will do all that I can to help VABS build and grow during my
four years in this great commonwealth. I’m already planning to attend your
state convention, and I look forward to learning about what VABS is up to
there. In short, I’m glad to be on this list, and I look forward to getting
involved in our work in Virginia. Let’s go build the Federation!

Chris

Christopher A. “Chris” Nusbaum, Interdisciplinary Studies/Special Education
Major

Lynchburg College Class of 2021

Phone: (443) 547-2409

Email: Nusbaum_c at lynchburg.edu

Twitter: @Chrisn98

“The real problem of blindness is not the loss of eyesight. The real
problem is the misunderstanding and lack of information which exist. If a
blind person has the proper training and opportunity, blindness can be
reduced to a mere nuisance.” –Kenneth Jernigan