[VABS] nova

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 2 04:49:17 UTC 2017

Hello,
Nova charges for printing by the page; its 12 cents I think.
As for embossing, we could likely get away with it being free. They have  no
way to collect money off the embossers where as the printers, you swipe your
ID there and the ID is linked to your student money account. They will
receive so little demand for embossing that it would not be worth the
charge.

Mark, that is terrible  news that they did not update jaws at the Manassas
campus. I know the annandale campus has an updated license.
You are fortunate to have a surface Pro. That is expensive. Can you even
load a screen reader on that tablet, I wonder?
You were fortunate to have enough vision for the handouts. You could
definitely use that! My vision does not let me read magnification long. I
used a reader but that was long after the class could read their handouts.
I always bought my books.
A student who can use large print will have less problems at Nova.
For textbooks, I've used all formats: electronic texts if the school gave it
to me, scanning it myself via OCR, live readers, audio texts from NLS or
Learning ally, and even finding some open source texts of books or articles
online. The online stuff was typically for history or english assignments
where stuff is old and not copyrighted.
Blind students rarely used readers now a days but they were necessary for
me. I did not get things handed to me on a silver platter at nova or any
college. So, I had to figure out things myself. A friend of mine though goes
to JMU. She has few struggles. She is handed all her textbooks
electronically, the DSS office even got some texts brailled for science, she
got models of body parts to feel for anatomy,
and professors are generally helpful. She was bragging to me the first
semester that professors were understanding and how she used their office
hours for help. She said it was easier than high school!
JMU btw is james madison university.
So, she is fortunate. IF you go to JMU, it probably is better. Nova, sorry
to say, you will struggle. Speak up and advocate for your needs. And if it
does not work out with a professor and you have to have that class to
graduate, my advice is to drop the class and take it later with a better
professor.

Have a good week all, and happy 4th of july!
Ashley