[VABS] Nova

Ashley Bramlett bookwormahb at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 4 15:39:08 UTC 2017

Mark,

Happy 4th of july to you too!
I'm planning to go to the fireworks later.

Nova does not spend much money on accomodations, true.
However, if you went there a few years back, much has changed.
Jaws was updated at annandale and I heard other campuses too.
I personally think Nova needs an OCR program for students to use such as
Openbook.
They have a new accessibility coordinator who is much more responsive about
converting inaccessible pdfs into accessible ones.

You can also take exams on the pc and write your answers on a word file if
you want to.
Jaws should be in all testing centers. It needs to be so blind students can
use the pcs.
At annandale, jaws always worked for me at the testing center.
Nova policy does not allow you to bring your own
equipment into the testing centers. You have to use their pcs.

I totally agree with you that pcs with assistive technology should not be
separate!
You should not be an outcast!
However that is the case at a large university nearby.
To anyone needing jaws at GMU, I warn of this.
GMU has a separate assistive technology lab in the libraries on the main
campus. I cannot speak to other campuses. On the fairfax campus wich is the
main one, the labs are separate.
So, you have to be segregated from everyone else.
I hang around GMU sometimes to see friends or go to their library since I
can get into music databases Nova does not have. I've looked up some things
for my own knowledge and for my volunteer projects on GMU's computers.
As a public school, the public can come in to the library. Nova students can
also check out a limited number of GMU books. So, Niam, if you have a reader
and are working on a paper, you can check out GMU books with your Nova ID
card. Then read them with someone in a study room.
To access GMU computers, anyone else from the public can get on any public
computer; no questions asked; no requests needed.
But for me, I have to be asked and escorted to the assistive tech lab where
sometimes jaws is a demo version. Sometimes IT did not install it right so
mix ups happen.
I wish I could get on the regular university computers to do research like
anyone else. But at least I do get some access as a guest to the library,
albeit a separate place.
For GMU students, they can get into the lab via a code they are given. But
it is still a separate locked place and a  segregated place.

GMU is george mason university in case anyone did not know.

Thanks for the info on the surface pro. I'll look at one sometime.
Very helpful to know it runs like a laptop.

Ashley