[VABS] VABS Intern applications Closed

Robert Parsons rob.parso3389 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 19 05:58:00 UTC 2017

Good Morning VABS

First, I want to thank all of you for participating in this list serve. I
love the fact that you guys are so engaged in all of this and I promise that
there will be more insightful and enjoyable events to come. At this point, I
want to inform you all about this internship program and all that it
consists of.

1.	Inclusiveness: A VABS Intern is considered an official member of the
VABS executive board. This means that they are part of the leadership of
this division. We are a proud division of the National Federation of the
Blind of Virginia and a local incarnation of the National Association of
Blind Students. On the national level, the executive board consists of 9
positions: President, First Vice, Second Vice, Treasurer, Secretary, and
four board members. Our executive board will consist of 8 positions:
President (Yours Truly), Vice president (Kim Valko), Treasurer (Andrea
Perry), Secretary (Sharon Jose), and two board members (Tracy Jones, and
Kinston Walker). The two interns will be the final two members of the
executive board and will be prepped and primed throughout their term to
ascend higher up on the board or continue serving in that position in the
future if they choose.
2.	VABS board members and interns oversee committees. This means that
you will be the point person of our operations. The first board member
(Tracy) is the person that runs the membership aspect of our division. She
works to add students to our board and refer them to myself. Kinston, our
second board members is currently doing the communications part of the
division, but this is a task that one of the interns will take. The second
board member will be running the legislative committee. If there are any
type of bill or law that we introduce or express disinterest in, this
committee will work with the national student division to gather information
and give it to our group. That person will also assist with coordinating
students to make it to Washington Seminar. The first intern is the
fundraising coordinator. When our division has any type of fundraising event
or opportunity, this individual is the point person and liaison between our
division and potential clients or partners. The final inter is the
communications committee coordinator. This person will operate the
division's Facebook or Twitter page.
3.	This intern term will last from Thursday until November 4, 2017 at
our state convention. It is during our board meeting, on this day, that the
board will end their term and must run for elections again. Please feel free
to reapply for any position you already will have or for one that you want
to have.

We have a total of 5 applicants for the two vacant inter positions and their
interviews will occur Thursday, July 20, 2017. Please wish your
friends/contemporaries luck on their interview and efforts.

Thanks

Robert E. Parsons Jr.

President, Richmond Chapter

President, Virginia Association of Blind Students

Randolph Macon College '18

Phone: 804 200 3275

"Without struggle, there is no progress." -Frederick Douglass