[VABS] Elections

Robert Parsons rob.parso3389 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 00:17:48 UTC 2017

VABS

As discussed on the conference call Thursday night, every position for VABS'
executive board is up for election this year at our 2017 convention. For
those of you who did not call in, I am taking this time to explain what
these positions entail.

1.	President: Serves as a liaison between the division and the NFBV
affiliate. Also serves as a liaison between the division and the National
Association of Blind Students. Is the elected  official that approves and
denies final funding decisions. Also serves as the delegate on the state
level for any type of affiliate-wide decision making that necessitates a
vote.
2.	Vice President: Serves as the interim official that makes the
decisions if the President is not available or in the event the President
steps down from the position. Also charged with supervising special programs
of the division, including working with fundraising committee to secure
logistics and working with legislative committee to coordinate seminar or
delegate communication.
3.	Treasurer: Book keeping official of the division. Tasks include, but
are not limited to: maintaining monthly balances, including withdrawals and
deposits from our account and purchase requests and invoices. Also works
with fundraising chair of finalizing the need of fundraising efforts and
determining economically feasible options to satisfy those needs.
4.	Secretary: serves as recorder of monthly conference calls, yearly
business meetings, and decisions made by affiliate that affects students.
Charged with the procurement and completion of any paperwork the division
may be required to attend to if it is not required by the President to
handle. Also works with the communications committee to make sure all
advertisements, statements, and social media posts representing the division
is professional, courteous, and aligned in NFB philosophy and context.
5.	Board Member 1 (Membership Chair): Tasked with maintaining the
official VABS membership list and all duties assigned to that tasks. Duties
include, but are not limited to keeping track of which members paid dues,
which members have graduated, keeping contact information of all members,
and assisting the President with keeping track of members signed up to the
email list serve.
6.	Board Member 2 (Legislative Chair): Tasked with being the
legislative representative of the division. Duties include, but are not
limited to joining legislative committee of the National Association of
Blind Students (NABS), partaking in legislative efforts that are aligned
with Federation issues, and organizing division attendance to yearly
seminars to meet with elected officials.
7.	Board Member 3 (Fundraising Chair): Tasked with generating steady
and substantial income for the division. Duties include, but are not limited
to planning innovative ways to increasing funds for VABS, working with the
Vice President to attain concrete logistical necessities (space,
transportation options, food, etc.), and spearheading the advertisement
efforts of these events alongside the communications chair.
8.	Board Member 4 (Communications Chair): Tasked with the marketing of
the division on a local, regional, and national level. Duties include, but
are not limited to sharing advertisements of division events and ideas with
the VABS, NABS, affiliate, and chapter list serves. Duties also include
operating and successfully maintaining the social media platforms of the
divisions (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube). These different platforms should be
regularly updated with relevant information about the division, affiliate,
and sometimes national efforts.

Please look at these tasks and think about what your strengths are. I am
always available to recommend what task I think you would excel in. I am not
going to toot my own horn, but I can tell you based off the potential I see
in all of you what I think compliments your skills the most. Remember,
leaders of the Federation often start by being on the executive board of
their affiliate's student board. Help us make VABS a powerhouse. Your
commitment in the past year has made my first year as President one I will
never forget and I truly believe that our new leadership is among us.

Best Regards

Robert E. Parsons Jr.

President, Richmond Chapter

President, Virginia Association of Blind Students

Randolph Macon College '18

Phone: 804 801 7674

"Without struggle, there is no progress." -Frederick Douglass