[VABS] Fwd: [NFBV-Announce] Financial Assistance for all Virginia Members attending the 2020 NFB National Convention

President Vabs vabs.president at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 01:12:05 UTC 2020

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: tracy.soforenko--- via NFBV-Announce <nfbv-announce at nfbnet.org>
Date: Sun, Mar 1, 2020 at 5:53 PM
Subject: [NFBV-Announce] Financial Assistance for all Virginia Members
attending the 2020 NFB National Convention
To: <nfbv-announce at nfbnet.org>

In the Virginia affiliate, we are committed to growing our members and
building our movement. The NFB National convention is a transformative
experience where members can connect with positive role models from across
the country, immerse themselves in our philosophy, and take away a broad
range of practical ideas to use in our local communities.

Our National convention in Houston, Texas is a highlight for the year and
the 2020 convention will be especially remarkable. The convention will
begin Tuesday, July 14 and end late after the banquet on Sunday evening,
July 19. Most people will be departing on Monday, July 20.

We want everyone to plan this into your calendar and your budget so you can
be there to join us. To that end, we want to help encourage to make 2020
the year you attend convention.

This message outlines a set of programs to remove barriers to attendance.

   1. Virginia Affiliate Pays for Registration and Banquet

We are willing to experiment with new ideas to increase participation.

If you are an active member of the Virginia affiliate, we want to help you
attend convention by paying for your registration and banquet ticket during
pre-registration. Instead of going online to pre-register, we are asking
you to email Jennifer Blinsmon to provide her with the following information

Name

Address

Phone Number

Email address

Jennifer has generously agreed to collect this information from everyone
attending convention. Please make it easy for her by providing the
requested information in email.

Her email address is:

canegirl1979 at gmail.com

Her phone number is: (701) 610-6549

You must email Jennifer by May 25 to take advantage of this opportunity. We
need to get all pre-registrations completed in advance of the May 31
National deadline.

This represents $95 in financial assistance for every active member
attending convention. We will be comparing each request against the
national membership information so please ensure that your dues are paid to
your local chapter and that your information has been submitted. New
members will want to ensure they have been entered into our national new
member form.

Jennifer will work with Mark Roane to submit all our registrations on mass
to our national office.

You will pick up your registration and banquet ticket at convention at the
pre-registration table.

If you do not let us know by the May 25 deadline, it is unfortunate, and
you will be responsible for your own registration and banquet.

Individuals receiving financial assistance from the affiliate such as
first-time attendees in the McDonald Fellowship program or others receiving
funds should know that we will factor this $95 into the request.

   1. McDonald Fellowship and Jernigan Scholarship Programs for first time
   convention attendees

If you are a first-time attendee, we strongly encourage people to apply to
both the McDonald Fellowship and Kenneth Jernigan convention Scholarship
programs which target first time convention attendees. In a separate
message, we will outline details for these 2 programs to provide financial
assistance for first-time convention attendees

   1. Financial Assistance for the 2020 National Convention beyond the
   Pre-Registration and Banquet Ticket Support

Every year, the affiliate president will receive a few requests for
convention assistance from affiliate members. We are putting some ground
rules in place to help clarify expectations.

If you are planning to request assistance, please send your request to me
in email. Your request should factor in the following:

A) What are my total expected costs:

What should I expect to pay for convention factoring in expected costs for
travel, lodging, meals, and a banquet ticket and convention registration? I
have no idea how much it costs to get from your home to the Hilton Americas
in Houston. You need to do the research. In addition, the banquet is a
highlight of the convention and you don't want to miss it. Many people
choose to share rooms and you will start seeing roommate requests posted to
our announce list starting soon.

B) What can I afford myself?

No one will be going to convention for free. The Jernigan Scholarships and
McDonald Fellowships do not provide all the funding for convention for
first timers. Individuals requesting financial assistance should expect to
make a significant contribution to your convention expenses. You should be
factoring in this expense into your budget.

C) What is my chapter contributing?

Your chapter is a resource for financial assistance. Do not come to the
Virginia Affiliate requesting financial assistance if you have not asked
your local chapter. I will be following up with chapter presidents to
understand how you are contributing at the chapter level to programming and
fundraising.

D) How much are you requesting from the affiliate

After considering other sources, how much are you requesting from the
Virginia affiliate. Please note that we do not provide funding in advance.

Mark Roane will provide funding at convention, but you need to work locally
to get your travel and room expenses addressed. You should expect to attend
the Virginia Caucus, probably Wednesday evening, July 15 at 10:00 PM to
receive the financial assistance. It is not Mark's job to hunt you down at
convention and it is not Mark's job to provide you funds as you walk into
the hotel. However, Mark will gladly sell you some Virginia Peanuts.

Speaking of selling, fundraising is the means through which we have the
resources to provide financial assistance. When I talk to your chapter
president, I am checking to determine if you are engaged in the chapter and
affiliate fundraising. We will certainly be selling items at the Virginia
table at convention and you will be expected to help with that activity if
you receive financial assistance. You should also plan to participate in
working the Independence Market and other responsibilities as we all work
together to make the convention a success. You should be hustling
throughout convention and afterward back in Virginia to sell our products
to fund our movement.

We are asking that requests are submitted no later than June 1, 2020. You
should be planning, booking your hotel room and taking advantage of the
support for pre-registration.

We want everyone to join us in Houston and we hope this guidance clarifies
the process. However, if you have questions, I am glad to address them.

Tracy Soforenko

President, National Federation of the Blind of Virginia

202 285-4595

Tracy.soforenko at gmail.com

www.nfb.org

www.nfbv.org

National Federation of the Blind. Live the Life You Want

who believe in the hopes and dreams of the nation’s blind. Every day we
work together to help blind people live the lives they want.