[Vendorsmi] do the BEP promulgated rules really matter?

joe harcz Comcast joeharcz at comcast.net
Tue Feb 14 13:29:45 UTC 2012

You are both correct. Let us not forget that it was the agency, after this ad hoc meeting that went to the EOC and then the Commission to rubber stamp eliminating the rules on "The State Plate". And let us not forget that Zanger herself before the Board said they've done this before. Ad Hoc indeed!

The agency in particular "bootstraps" or acts ad hoc, and so do some pet operators.

Regardless you are both correct in that what purpose are rules if they are not followed, or applied uniformly?

Now I do think there is a training component that is a problem when it comes to newer operators. That is pretty clear.

But, Joe S rightfully points out issues with long standing operators. I hear him in that he and others who operate on the up and up are put at a competitive disadvantage by doing so when rules are not evenly applied across the board. That is simply a reality not unlike having any outside competition.

Still this all ultimately goes to the agency.

I understand the chicken and egg dilemma posited by Joe, however.

Let us not forget there is a third element always skulking in the background. That is other state agencies and actors like these tyrannical building managers who think they can flout the law, and who do because the agency sells us all out to them.

Allowing a building manager to be formally on the interview process for the State Plate with all kinds of nebulous and dictatorial abilities is more than allowing the Camel's nose under the tent. It is telling us all who runs the program in the mind of the agency and for whom. It is letting the big bad Wolf in tright in the home invited and then jumping into the oven so we might make a tasty dinner for him.

Oh, yes and he apparently will dictate the price of that dinner too.

Joe H