[Vendorsmi] Fw: Update on HR7: Please Take the Necessary Action

Joe Sontag suncat0 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 17:17:17 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: Kevan Worley
To: 'Dave Merritt' ; 'David Phillips' ; 'Don Hudson' ; 'Gene Fleeman' ; HackneyCharles at aol.com ; 'Jeremiah Wells' ; 'Jim Farley' ; 'Joe Shaw' ; 'John Gerber' ; 'john Jones' ; 'Lorraine Magnessun' ; 'Manny Sifuentes' ; 'Mary Hayes' ; 'Pamela' ; 'Ray Marshall' ; suncat0 at gmail.com ; terrysmith at epbfi.com ; 'Willie Black'
Cc: 'Al Falligan' ; 'Art Stevenson' ; 'Charles and Betty Allen' ; 'John Fritz' ; 'Lynn Reynolds' ; 'Scott Young' ; 'Virgil Stinnett' ; Harold Wilson ; Kim Williams ; nickycolorado at netscape.net ; sharonparis at comcast.net
Sent: Thursday, February 23, 2012 10:22
Subject: Update on HR7: Please Take the Necessary Action

Update on HR 7

It is our understanding that Congressman LaTourette is still working on language that will allow some degree of commercialization on rest area highways. He has heard the concerns of blind vendors and is now considering changing his amendment to allow the commercialization only on non-interstate highways. We have no assurance that he will restrict the scope of the amendment that much. Regardless, we remain steadfastly opposed to any attempt at commercialization of rest areas along our interstate or non-interstate highways. Several states have blind vendors operating vending facilities at rest areas on non-interstate highways. Consequently, LaTourette's amendment would still adversely impact blind vendors. Furthermore, it is our fear that this will be the first step toward full commercialization of the interstate rest areas.

The situation is further complicated by the fact the Organization of State Departments of Transportation will be meeting in DC next week and will be calling on their congressional representatives. From what we understand, one of the issues they will be promoting is this very issue of commercialization of the interstate rest areas. Therefore, we need to make sure that the voices of the blind continue to be heard. Blind vendors and other blind consumers need to call their Congressmen and urge them to vote against LaTourette's amendment. All Congressional offices can be reached by dialing 1-202-225-3121.

Thank you for your response to this call to action.

Terry C Smith

NFB Blind Entrepreneurs Initiative

Kevan Worley

Executive Director