[Vendorsmi] Where Do You see Yourself in "active participation"? Something to ponder

Terry Eagle terrydeagle at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 19 14:53:45 UTC 2012

The following is being offered for the sole purpose of discussion of the
philosophical and dynamics of organizational function or dysfunction that I
set forth below. I encourage opposing or similar viewpoints.  This is
intended for self-evaluation and self-reflection for the betterment of the
whole community.  It does not carry with this writing any evaluation or
opinion of other information contained herein, as such information is
presented solely to give context to why I offer my essay for discussion of
the organizational dynamics that ultimately affect all persons within the
organization.

This exercise and discussion is typical of the question and discussion in a
university-level principles of ethics course or corporate training seminar.

Hey Bill,

I do not know the facts surrounding Risa getting the Howell facility in the
first place, so I cannot comment on that situation, except to say that
assuming what you say is true, it exactly makes my earlier point about rules
not being followed, and the simple fact that someone is ultimately going to
get trampled and injured, for failure to follow the rule of law.

It is, in my opinion, the failure of blind licensees to not prosecute valid
claims of rule violations that has created a culture and environment within
the BEP which has fostered an attitude by BEP management and a few select
licensee, for personal reasons alone, simply sit back on their hands and
allow the illegal and unethical actions to occur, and gibing the violators
an attitude that they can repeat such biolations over and over because the
know that are likely not to be challenged by the blind, as was apparently
true in your case of not being awarded Howell.

Bill, truly the answer to addressing corruption is not to turn one's head as
if to not see the corruption, but rather to face  head-on and stare down the
evil one witnesses.  To sit back and pretend to believe that failure to
confront and address the corruption and evil, believing it is noble to not
defend one's rights for the good or sake of anotheris simplyfurther promotes
future evil acts by the original wrong-doer, ultimately injuring a much
longer list of individuals in the future.  That is the ultimate result when
a seemingly noble act of not appropriately acting does to advance corruption
and evil.

Bill, over the years, I have seen many intelligent, morally upright,
well-intentioned blind person come and go from the BEP operator "active
participation" scene.  In my opinion and observation, the vast majority exit
the scene believing that they as an individual cannot have or make a
positive impact on that which is corrupt or evil. A fewer number decide to
"go-along-to get-along", because they relize the "price" or "cost" to them
and their future materialism is much too expensive for doing that which is
right and just.  The individuals have witnessed not only the corruption and
evil, they also have either seen and/or experienced the further corruption
and evil associated with retaliation and retribution for the courageto stand
up for what is right and just, and stand firm against corruption and evil.
Then there are a much smaller group of individuals I call the "sell-outs",
or as they are likely to define themselves as the "opportunity seekers".
These are the ones that believe that "survival of the fittest" or
"eat-others-before-you get-eaten", is the only method of survival in the
daily jungle of life, for after all, it truly is a jungle out there in
business, and one certainly must fend for one's self, if one is to get-ahead
and survive, they truly believe.  This minority in any organization tends to
cozy up to the leader of the pack, knowing that there is strength in
numbers, and that sticking together one can truly survive.  It is the
attitude of rugged individualism, "what's in it for me", and "I've got your
back, and you've got my back, and the "rules are there for others to follow,
but not me" system of operation.  In their jungle-environment mind, it is
not in their best interest to act in the best interest of the entire jungle
inhabitants.  Each and every one in the pack prowl the intense jungle to
capture that which will fulfill their personal needs, of course at the cost
of the less connected and astute members of the community.  Then, as I once
heard it described by one blind individual, the individual pack members drag
their captured bounty back to their cave, disappearing and not being seen,
as they savor the pleasure of their rugged individualism andhedonism, while
doing the most minimal to preserve and protect that which they have gained,
at a huge cost to the entire organization.  There is no longer any reason to
stick around for the good, right and just benefit of the majority of the
members of the organization.

Finally, there are an even more tiny minority that get involved, stay
involved, and confront and stare down corruption and evil at any personal
cost, simply and authentically because it is the only noble, moral, right
and just approach and action to take.  I can think of a few blind persons,
formerly employed within the BEP that fit within this tiny minority of blind
persons willing to act on behalf of all blind individuals, despite the cost
personally.  .

Where do you see yourself within this organizational structure in BEP?

Best regards,

Terry Eagle

  _____