[Vendorsmi] Fw: Okemos rest area

Joe Sontag suncat0 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 22 10:58:33 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: Terry Eagle
To: suncat0 at gmail.com
Sent: Friday, June 22, 2012 6:11
Subject: FW: Okemos rest area

Hi Fred,

I am pleased you brought up Risa's more-than-generous suggestion of Marlene being granted a priority bid.  The truth-in-fact be known to others, that remedy would in itself reward both non-compliance on the part of Marlene, and corruption on the part of BEP management, first, for awarding Marlene the Howell facility, with full written documented knowledge of Marlene being out-of-compliance and ineliibility to be promoted and reassigned under the rules, and secondly, for selectively violating the practice of not bidding out a facility and assigning a permanent licensee to a facility, during the pendency of a grievance.

This suggestion would likely not be acceptable to BEP management, since they have consistently and repeatedly opposed to the award of a priority bid, making the arguments at administrative hearings and arbitration hearings that there is no precedence for awarding priority bid, and that a priority would be inherently unfair to other licensed operators.  I assure you I am not making up this fact.  I have the transcripts to validate it.

Do you remember the Richard Thelen disaster case?  While you may recall the basic facts of Constance summarily suspending Richard's license on the basis of mere allegation of Richard smearing feces on a rest room wall and urinating on the floor, then instead of Constance commencing an administrative hearing on the matter as required by BEP rules and APA law, she forced Richard to file for and have an administrative review, at which Constance illegally participated since Constance had taken the action of suspending Richard's license, and which Constance reinstated Richard's license; saying he could not return to his licensed facility, and would be placed on the potential list, without a priority bid, to bid on available facilities.  Constance stated this reinstatement was done because the mere allegations could not be verified or substantiated.  Constance had also bid out and assigned another operator to Richard's facility, under the guise of protecting the future of the BEP site.  Even the EOC did not support Richard, and defended Constance's action, as Rob Essenberg stated the action to protect the future of the site was more important.  The mere allegations against Richard even received negative press by the likes of MIRS.

Fast forwarding to the ultimate outcome after an administrative hearing, final agency decision, and arbitration hearing.  The MCB Board decided, and the arbitration panel concurred that despite the horrible injustice done to Richard because of Constance's action, Richard should be compensated only for the weeks his license was suspended, and the cost of location-specific printed materials Richard had purchased.  The final agency decision even had a requirement attached to the payment, that Richard first reenter the BEP by accepting a facility, before the payment would mmade.  So much for the prohibition against involuntary servitude under the U.S. Constitution.

I simply point the Richard Thelen facts and outcome of compensation as a way of gauging an appropriate possible remedy resolution for Marlene.  Remember, Richard had absolutely no culpability in the injustice forced upon him by corruption and failure by Constance to follow the rules and law.  Richard was also in compliance and good standing throughout the dispictable ordeal.  That remedy outcome rewarded corruption and total injustice on the part of Constance, with absolutely no negative consequence or impact to Constance, while destroying Richard's reputation and livelihood and retirement benefits.  In fact, Constance was further rewarded by a promotion, if even temporary.  I guess the U.S. Army saying among the ranks, "F up to move up", extends and is applied to certain parts and persons in state civil service.  I say this as Constances's and James' action of failure to follow the rules and laws are ongoing, repeated over and over, with similar outcomes-the BEP operator getting screwed, and absolutely no negative consequence to the law-breaker.  When is someone in state government with integrity going to have the courage to stand up and put a stop to such injustice?  That point may have come when Lydia spoke up and said such has to stop somewhere or sometime, and it might as well be now, and John and Larry whole-heartedly agreed.

With respect to a remedy for Marlene, she too is not without culpability, as she certainly was fully aware that she was out-of-compliance and ineligible to bid and promote at the time she bid on Howell, when it was offered to her and she accepted, and at the point of transfer, there was and remained a status of non-compliance.  Given those facts, Marlene holds a legally voidable license for cause because of her knowledge at the time of the grant of the license.  That concept and conclusion is derived from contract law, along with a doctrine called unjust enrichment also attaches, which, if her stated income of $50,000 from Howell in 2011 is correct and verified, then because of Marlene's culpability, she was not entitled to neither the difference between her income at the Romney Building, from where she illegally was promoted, and what her income is at Howell, nor is she entitled to the 401k benefit derived, for the difference between Romney and Howell.  This translates to an unjust enrichment and reward for her participation and culpability in an illegal act.  The concept was false pretense could also be in play.

Since Bill made a reference to a lawsuit for compensation, I also consider an action in negligence.  Under this legal theory, there is a doctrine of contributory negligence, which basically means that the defendant seeks to assign proportional percentage negligent responsibility liability among the parties.  The plaintiff must accept responsibility for their role, and their compensation recovery, if any, is reduced by their assigned percentage of fault

There is also a defense that can be asserted called assumption of the risk.  This is where a plaintiff takes an action fully aware of the risk attached to that action taken, and must take legal responsibility for undertaking the known risky action.  With regard to Marlene's action, the facts show that she undertook a promotion transfer with full knowledge that it was illegal, and she assumed the risk of such action being discovered and acted upon to be corrected.  A finding of assumption of the risk would kill any recovery.

Therefore, based on the facts and equities involved, Marlene should be placed on the potential list, just as was done in the Thelen case, to bid on available facilities, without a priority bid, and with or without adjustment recovery for her unjust enrichment.

I know this would not set well with many, however, since the failure to follow the rules and law, by BEP management and licensees alike,must stop, it may seem harsh, however it is time to stop the illegal games and actions that are harming the BEP all-around in time, energy, resources, and cohesiveness.  It will also send a resounding and clear message to all that the time of favoritism games and illegal actions has stopped, and will no lonher  be tolerated. And the time has arrived to stop rewarding such illegal games and actions in any manner.  That includes taking disciplinary action against state employees engaged in such acts.

Respectfully,

Terry