[Vendorsmi] Fw: [nfbmi-talk] nfb and restaurant assoc pr

Joe Sontag suncat0 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 16:58:49 UTC 2012

----- Original Message -----
From: "joe harcz Comcast" <joeharcz at comcast.net>
To: <nfbmi-talk at nfbnet.org>
Cc: <Vendorsmi at nfbnet.org>
Sent: Monday, March 05, 2012 10:59
Subject: [nfbmi-talk] nfb and restaurant assoc pr

National Federation of the Blind and National Restaurant Association Urge
Congress to Reject Commercializing Rest Stops

WASHINGTON -- The

National Federation of the Blind,

the oldest and largest nationwide organization of blind Americans, and the
National Restaurant Association, the largest organization of restaurant
owners,

today urged the United States Congress to reject legislation that would
allow the commercialization of highway rest stops. Currently, the only
commercial

activity permitted at such rest stops is the operation of vending machines
by blind entrepreneurs under the Randolph-Sheppard Act. Commercializing rest

stops would also jeopardize the business of restaurants and convenience
stores that operate at highway exits.

Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National Federation of the Blind, said:
“This legislation would threaten the livelihoods of hundreds of blind
entrepreneurs

in the United States who depend on revenue from rest-stop vending machines.
With an unemployment rate among blind Americans that exceeds 70 percent,
such

a move is deeply irresponsible, since these entrepreneurs will lose their
businesses and be forced to rely on public assistance. We urge Congress to
reject

this ill-considered and reckless proposal.”

Brendan Flanagan, a spokesperson for the National Restaurant Association,
said: “This legislation threatens private businesses of all sizes and their
employees

who rely on drivers exiting the highway in order to purchase food and
conveniences. It is an attempt to take money away from these businesses to
fill state

coffers. It is anti-competitive and will kill jobs.”

List of 1 items

list end

Annette Lutz, who operates a vending facility at an interstate rest area on
I-75 in Auglaize County, Ohio, said: “I do not know how I will contribute to

supporting my family if this legislation passes, since I rely on the income
from the vending machines that I’m permitted to operate to pay our bills and

raise my child. My vending machines can’t compete with state-financed
full-service food operations, so my business will disappear. My blind
daughter is

also interested in becoming an entrepreneur but if this legislation passes
that opportunity will not be there for her. I hope Congress will remember
people

like us and shut down this effort to take money away from entrepreneurs and
give it to the state government.”

The legislation, which is part of a transportation bill being considered in
both houses of Congress, has been put forward by Senator Rob Portman (R-OH)

and Congressman Steve LaTourette (R-OH). The legislation is also opposed by
the National Council of State Agencies for the Blind, the National
Association

of Convenience Stores (NACS), and the National Association of Truck Stop
Operators (NATSO), among others.

With more than 50,000 members, the National Federation of the Blind is the
largest and most influential membership organization of blind people in the
United

States. The NFB improves blind people’s lives through advocacy, education,
research, technology, and programs encouraging independence and
self-confidence.

It is the leading force in the blindness field today and the voice of the
nation's blind. In January 2004 the NFB opened the National Federation of
the

Blind Jernigan Institute, the first research and training center in the
United States for the blind led by the blind.