[vendtalk] New to list and possibly to the vending program

Charlie Richardson charlieofalbany at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 5 23:29:53 UTC 2008

Hi Cheryl,

Just so everyone knows, I'm the chairman of our committee of blind vendors
in New York and I have talked to you briefly about BEP.

Being a past foodservice manager I can tell you my description wouldn't be
that it is very hard, but a different animal.  You should love foodservice
if you're going to be in it otherwise you'll hate it.  Also in running
newsstands there is a wide variety of types and difficulties.  Some of our
newsstands are simple.  A manager just retired from a facility that sold no
beverages and collects $1000 per month from the vending machine contractor,
lottery tickets from a vending machine only and the over the counter sales
were about 60000 per year.  All total his net profit which is like gross
pay, was around 40000 per year.  The new person going in could easily make
more with minimal effort.

I run the store in the Capitol Building with storage rooms in the
legislative Office Building which is easily a quarter mile trip, but when I
get there I probably have more storage space than store space.  I have 8
vending machines that we service near the storage area and 11 other machines
in 6 locations around the Capitol Building.  I sell beverages in the store
and just put away a 75 case order of Pepsi products today, which is the
beverage company I do the most business with.

We sell between 400,000 and 450,000 dollars worth of lottery tickets per
year and keep about 40 different instant tickets for sale in the store.  But
the most difficult thing about my store is servicing over 100 newspaper
accounts.  I just took on 28 new accounts so I don't know exact numbers, but
about 700 newspapers go out on account per day, which I am paying for every
week and billing them later.  I charge fees for the service according to how
many papers they get, but it's a cash hog over time and lots of weight
lifting every morning with putting them on a cart, bring them in the
building and off the cart to be X-rayed through security, then off the X-ray
machine and back on the cart and then off the cart and in the store to be
opened and separated for delivery to the offices.  Overall this service nets
me about $30,000 per year, so I see it having value.

Anyway, there's a lot of types between the two descriptions.  We have also
introduced legislation to expand our priority, so with the help of the New
York Affiliate of the NFB we see new opportunities coming over the horizon.
But with the changes in the state legislature we'll be taking at least a
different approach with a senate sponsor.

Enough rambling from me, hopefully others will give their opinions on
foodservice and other types of facilities.