[vendtalk] (no subject)

Phyliss Davis phylissdavis1957 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 22 04:00:23 UTC 2009

Dear Kevan.
Thank you for the timely article.  I was the "lucky' vendor whose  rest areas were both closed in Georgia,this past August 19Th,2009, on the same day. I am currently working p/t as helper for another  blind vendor for  $8.50 per hour. My State's SLA and BEP tried to stop the closings, but  to no avail.  There is a Welcome-Center about about 4 hours South of me that is being run by a Vending company under contract with the SLA, but due to the instability of the GDOT decisions to close more rest areas, I have not been offered the opportunity to be the relief operator until the final decision on is  made to either  remodel it  or  close it.  [We think remodel since it is a Welcome Center right on the GA-FLA line, outside of Savannah.]  We lost our house because of the drastic cut in income.  However, I remain prayerful that things will soon turn around.

I would like to hear  from the other Vendors who have lost their locations as to what their States  are doing or what other  recourse are  available  for Vendors like me who have been adversely affected on either the State or even Federal level.  Hopefully, together, we can plan a strategy so that other rest areas can be spared not only for current Vendors, but also future Vendors will  continue to have a business opportunity.

Phyliss Davis
 678-755-4435