[vendtalk] New York Lottery

Charlie Richardson charlieofalbany at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 25 22:12:50 UTC 2009

Hello list,

I had in the past few months talked about our efforts to have accessible lottery terminals in New York.  We had our request included in the lottery's RFP last fall and their decision has been made last Friday.  G-Tech will continue as the contractor providing lottery services to New York.

I have attached the Lottery's fact sheet and you will noticed that they have a bulleted point of terminals to assist visually impaired agents and clerks.

I have been asked by our program director to pick three locations to beta test the new equipment.

This has been something vendors have asked for in our program for many years and it seemed very easy to get, but did require a couple steps prior to actually meeting with the lottery director.

I do believe that this is the first step in getting accessible lottery terminals in all Randolph-Sheppard facilities nationwide and has opened up new job opportunities for the blind in convenience stores everywhere else.  I had been told by a blind person who had worked for me, but didn't have interest in running their own store that they had been turned down for a job as a cashier in another store because when asked how they would handle lottery transactions they didn't have a solid answer.  Lottery terminals won't be the barrier in keeping blind people from working in convenience stores anymore.

 for the blind in lottery