[vendtalk] Holiday Savings - i.d. mate Summit

Vandervoort's vandervoorts at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 18 16:46:33 UTC 2011

As a follow-up on buying a Summit from Envision, noting that my experience
may be unique -

Envision shipped my unit by UPS Ground as promised.  The first attempt to
deliver was yesterday and required a signature.  No one home.  Good that
they asked for a signature rather than just leaving it.  The notice said
they could deliver anytime on Friday.  Not good as no one there until after
5pM.  The local office said I could pick it up at the local UPS center but
only after 6:30 PM which is after dark and I have no way to get there then
except to pay a taxi to and from.  I was told if I paid $40 and signed up to
some service they offer, I could get it delivered in a 2 hour window of my
choosing, or else I had to have someone stay home whenever the UPS driver
made it.  I kept at it and this morning, the local dispatcher texted the
driver and he said he would deliver it after 5 PM today.  Hopefully.  This
was not only an annoying experience but it seems to be a waste of UPS
resources.  I rarely get anything from UPS and never before with a signature
required.

I think Envision should offer options on its free shipping to send by USPS.
It would either be delivered to my door for signature (just like UPS) or
leave a notice to pick it up at the local post office the next day, not a
big deal.  Dealing with USPS does not mean making several phone calls and
dealing with a national service center that says they can do nothing or
asking me to pay extra. And I would not have to hear how the local office
does not want to deal with customers directly.

Mike Vandervoort