[vendtalk] Questions

mazher mazher at comcast.net
Mon Oct 1 22:32:00 UTC 2012

Colleen:

Thank you for taking the time to write back with a very educational glimpse
into the state of affairs in your program.  I am truly appalled that there
are only twelve vendors in the whole state and that even that paltry number
is having to struggle for a living.  I cannot imagine that this is all that
is possible.

Given your bleak account, I am assuming you currently do not have presence
at most major federal and state installations.  It sure sounds like you have
a lot of unrealized potential.

With longer term considerations in mind, is there any way for you to raise
the political visibility of the program or to scale up the aspirations of
the program to a higher level of purpose and mission?

My hunch is you'll probably need a lot of help from Kevan Worley and others
at the national level to assist with consciousness raising in the state.  If
you could engage local political interest in the promise of the program and
its benefits for the state, I would think the program would have more clout
and be better positioned to identify and develop prospective opportunities.

As I think about it, the idea of strengthening and growing your program is
not only morally just, it probably is also your best shot at achieving
needed longer term improvements.

If any of this makes sense to you and your fellow vendors, I would contact
Kevan Worley and or Fred Schroder to see what, if anything, they might be
able to do for Idaho.

By the way, I too am skeptical about blind vendors driving. In my book, , a
driver's license and an RS license are mutually incompatible.  You either
have corrected vision that allows you to drive safely in which case you are
no longer legally blind and must give up your RS license or your RS license
should be taken away for extremely dangerous and irresponsible behavior.
There are no two ways about it.

Finally, on the subject of too few cane users, I am afraid you are looking
at a national pattern where SLA officials exercise their recruitment
preference for the least blind amongst us.  Our business is not rocket
science and we should be able to do a better job of allowing more totally
blind individuals into the program.  I am afraid the bigotry of low
expectations is very much at work.  As a totally blind individual, I was
fortunate enough to be able to get into the program and I am very proud to
be able to say that I am setting the standard for excellence in our program.

Mazher