[vendtalk] U.S. Mint Tests Cheaper Coinage, Seeks Minimal Effect On Vending

Bill Reif billreif at ameritech.net
Sun Jan 6 11:56:41 UTC 2013

This is interesting. I think the mint's arguments miss the mark. The
face value vs production value argument ignores the fact that coins
circulate hundreds of times in their useful lives. Since bad money
drives good money of the same denomination out of circulation, the
introduction of cheap coinage will decrease the usefulness of what's
already circulating.

Those of us who handle large amounts of coinage, either in the vending
or the retail end, know of the hassle of fetching, counting out to
customers & coin mechs, and hauling back to the bank for rerolling. Our
customers feel no better about having to deal with coins, carrying as
few as possible until some machine we don't own, perhaps a newspaper
machine, parking meter or laundromat, prompts them to ask us or our
cashiers to be their human bill changer. Many have the same contempt for
dollar coins we all have for pennies.

In my opinion, the mint would save itself and us a lot of transition
money if they just hung in their until the transition from coinage and
from money itself, already largely under way, is completed. Many of us
already have card readers waiting and would be glad to decrease those
trips to the bank or payments to armored couriers.

Cordially,
Bill