[vendtalk] Delaware Bill Seeks To Expand Blind VendorOpportunities

Vandervoort's vandervoorts at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 24 00:47:10 UTC 2013

To clarify some misunderstandings and keep the dialog going . . . .

Doing what a manager should do is a given and not questioned by anyone.

In Texas, we can buy from anyone at any price we can get, just like any
other mom and pop business.  What we cannot do, or at least no one here has
found out how, is to leverage our collective buying into significantly
better pricing.  But even if we could do that, we would not come close to
the volume pricing for some of the same product that the State of Texas
already receives.

The issue was not that managers have to buy from the state or through their
BEP program.  The proposal, as I understand it, is whether managers can also
select to buy against otherwise existing state contracts negotiated in other
departments and thus benefit by the state's huge volume buying.  This is a
standard technique in other industries for many subcontracting
organizations.  That is, letting the little guy benefit from great pricing
the big guy is getting, usually to get lower end prices to the big guy.  It
only makes since for a manager to also be allowed to buy against state
contracts as an option.  We are selling, after all, mostly to state and
federal employees.

The idea is about same product, maybe same supplier, better supplier prices
and not having to do much since the government entities are already
negotiating and purchasing. The Texas prison system is probably the largest
single buyer of Coke products in Texas.  They can offer Coke products to
guards and inmates at end-user prices, with required margins, near my best
wholesale cost from Coke under gold FLO pricing, and I cannot sell to
inmates except in visitation.  So, if I can simply invoke the state's
pricing in my purchases and benefit from the state's negotiated low price,
why wouldn't I?  It takes nothing away, but does provide options to me.

And, no, I would not want our state BET program staff to go out and
negotiate supplier pricing agreements and then we have to buy through the
state.  It is not about someone telling you where to buy.  It is about
giving the manager more options and potentially better existing pricing as
an option.

Mike Vandervoort
Abilene, TX