[Wasagdu] at Convention

Becky Frankeberger b.butterfly at comcast.net
Tue Jul 7 22:10:17 UTC 2015

Resolution 2015-05

Regarding Leader Dogs for the Blind's Accreditation by NAC

WHEREAS, in 1989 the International Federation of Guide Dog Schools for the
Blind, later known as the International Guide Dog Federation (IGDF), was
formed to create and promulgate standards for the operation and
administration of guide dog training programs throughout the world; and

WHEREAS, the IGDF today has over eighty member guide dog training programs
around the world, including thirteen in the United States; and

WHEREAS, US-member guide dog training programs include Guide Dogs for the
Blind, the Seeing Eye, and Leader Dogs for the Blind, the three largest
guide dog training programs in the United States; and

WHEREAS, the standards of the IGDF are well known as a solid model for guide
dog training program operation and administration; and

WHEREAS, in January 2015 Leader Dogs for the Blind announced that it had
received accreditation by the National Accreditation Council for Blind and
Low Vision Services (NAC), an organization formed in the 1960s supposedly to
create and promulgate standards for the operation of agencies serving the
blind but which, in fact, has never provided a good model for the operation
and administration of any agency; and

WHEREAS, NAC has no expertise in the guide dog arena, and any attempt by NAC
to accredit guide dog training programs can serve only to undermine the
efforts of the IGDF; and

WHEREAS, in the past Leader Dogs for the Blind, recognizing the worthless
nature of NAC's alleged accreditation, resisted attempts by NAC to accredit
it and stood with consumers in opposing the shoddy and irrelevant standards
NAC attempted to use to gain credibility among the ranks of guide dog
training programs and their consumers; and

WHEREAS, Leader Dogs' past vigorous opposition to NAC accreditation was
expressed in part through a letter from Harold L. Pocklington,
then-executive director of Leader Dogs for the Blind, to NAC's president,