[Wasagdu] guiding a power chair

Becky Frankeberger b.butterfly at comcast.net
Tue Jan 5 17:24:55 UTC 2016

I heard a pretty distressing phone call last night from GDB. They are
seriously talking about getting rid of the program that teaches guide dogs
to guide a power chair. This is horribly distressing. Those of you who are
GDB grads better get on this fast. Right now they are just training, if you
previously had one of these specially trained dogs. For a gal who spent six
month luckily in a wheelchair, well I would fight like mad to keep this
program vital at the minimum for GDB grads. There just isn't luckily a lot
of call for this special training, so the equipment can be stored at the
campus and the steps to train these dogs could be kept safe there.

Want to hear some stories how this could happen to you: car accident,
falling down steps, falling in a manhole, falling off a chair like I did,
any every day task could have you in a wheelchair blind and with no ability
to go anywhere, unless a sighted person pushes you in a manual wheelchair.
Just not a pleasant life folks. You feel like all you can do is be a
doorstop, sad smile.

You GDB grads please find out more and let's get together and write a letter
with the other NAGDU groups following our lead.

Becky Frankeberger

Butterfly Knitting

-           Ponchos

-           Afghans