[Wasagdu] Guiding Eyes grad call

Becky Frankeberger b.butterfly at comcast.net
Wed Jan 11 15:35:34 UTC 2017

this post is a curtesy to Guiding Eyes Graduate Juno List members not on the
GEB Grad list.

Dear Guiding Eyes Graduates,

        the next GEB Graduate Council quarterly call will be held Sunday
January 22, at 7:00 pm Eastern time.
        Our speaker will be Dr. Beth Brenninkmeyer, Chief Veterinarian at
GEB.

        For many graduates "Dr. B" will be fondly remembered as the vet that
cared for their guide.  For others it will be our chance to meet a key
leader in the care of our dog partners..

Here is some background on our Guest speaker, Dr. B.

I grew up in the town of Big Flats, NY which is located about 40 miles from
Cornell University and I obtained my undergraduate degree from the
University of Vermont in Animal Science.
After graduation from UVM, I moved to North Carolina to live near some
family, escape the Vermont winters and apply to veterinary school. I moved
in with a veterinary technician who was raising a dog for Guiding Eyes.  I
was the perfect person to exercise with him daily, and at some point I began
bringing him to puppy classes and had my first exposure to this great
organization. I eventually took over raising him and adopted him when he did
not pass his IFT.  I was accepted to the NC State College of Veterinary
Medicine, and in my last year I did several internship weeks at Guiding Eyes
for the Blind. Before vet school graduation I was hired as the Assistant
Director of Veterinary Medicine in 2006. I enjoyed eight years at the
organization before leaving to spend more time with my two boys. While away
from Guiding Eyes we added a baby girl to our family, and I continued to
work in the veterinary field by doing per diem shelter and clinical work.
I currently reside in Somers, NY in a home located between the two Guiding
Eyes facilities. We share our home with a Boxer, a King Charles Cavalier,
chickens and some fish. In my free time, which has been reduced
significantly recently, I most enjoy outdoor activities with my kids,
cooking, traveling and occasionally a good book.
This Fall I was delighted to return to Guiding Eyes as Chief Veterinarian.
Guiding eyes is an organization that holds my heart, and I am passionate
about our mission.  I am eager to work with all of you to promote long,
healthy working lives for your guides. I welcome you to reach out to me if I
can be of help.

Beth Brenninkmeyer DVM
Chief Veterinarian
Guiding Eyes for the Blind
611 Granite Springs Road
Yorktown Heights, New York 10598
www.guidingeyes.org
914-243-2241

        For the call we will focus on the topics below.  But as always
questions can be submitted in advance.  Additional questions will be
answered as time permits.

 call topics:
Update on the vet hospital
Target weights
When to contact the vet hospital
Special considerations for winter work
Soft stool, what is normal?
Miscellaneous
Graduate questions

please email me your advance questions   at eric.caron at icloud.com by
Wednesday January  18.

The Conference call details follow:

To join the Sunday conference call,

dial:
1 712 432 1212
When prompted enter the conference ID Number:
886-060-494

As usual, there are a few points to keep in mind.
1.       At various times throughout the call, such as when the guest is
speaking, we will be muting all call participants to avoid distracting
background noise. If there are opportunities to open the floor, the
moderator will let you know and you will be able to press the star button
followed by the 6 button on your phone to unmute, should you wish to speak.
Remember, this function has nothing to do with the mute button on your
phone.
2.       Managing conversation on a large conference call is difficult.
Pauses between speakers need to be a little longer than normal conversation,
otherwise participants end up talking over one another. Be courteous and
allow an extra moment for another person to speak if they wish. The
moderator will do their best to manage any open questions or discussion.
This may mean occasionally cutting people short or ending a conversation in
order to keep the call moving. This is nothing personal, and sometimes
unavoidable on a large call.
3.       With the above in mind, if you are speaking, keep your comments and
questions as short as possible. This will insure that as many voices as
possible have  a chance to be heard.
4.       Finally, keep in mind that many people will be on the call.
Questions and/or comments should be limited to those that benefit the group.
Please avoid questions or comments of a strictly personal nature.

We hope that  you will be able to join us Sunday. Until then, take care
everyone.

Sincerely,
Eric Caron, and the  Guiding Eyes for the Blind Graduate Council

 Juno-l  is A  supportive  communications forum for  Guide Dog  users, and
Puppy
 Raisers.  Founded and supported by  Guiding Eyes for the Blind  Graduates.

Becky Frankeberger
Butterfly Knitting
-  Ponchos
-  Afghans