[Wasagdu] HB 2822

Marci Carpenter mjc59 at comcast.net
Thu Feb 15 00:09:44 UTC 2018

Hi Debby,

I agree with you that the police may very well not respond to this level of call since it is not likely to be a life-threatening emergency (unless someone gets bit or goes into anaphylactic shock or something like that). I understand the concerns of disabled people, especially those with cognitive or mental disabilities, about fearing interactions with police and not being sure if they could answer questions the way a cop might expect do to hearing, cognitive or other communications issues. One need only read stories of interactions between police and deaf, autistic or mentally ill people to know all the bad things that can happen. I believe it is important for us to understand proposed legislation in detail and also to understand what will likely be strong and vocal opposition to this bill. Disability Rights Washington has a strong presence at the legislature.

I just think it is important for us to think about all of these issues. I agree that this bill could be helpful for us and other legitimate service animal users. Business owners, bus drivers and others are incredibly reluctant to ask the 2 legitimate questions even now.

Thanks for your thoughtful notes. I appreciate everyone’s thoughts on this and I appreciate what I can learn from all of you since I am not a guide dog user.

Yours in the Federation,

Marci