[Youth-outreach] FW: [Mentoringexcellencestatecoordinators] FW: [mentorexchange] AnswerPresident-elect Obama's Call to Service by Participating inSemester of Service and Global Youth Service Day

Thorpe, Mary Jo MThorpe at nfb.org
Fri Jan 16 13:33:51 UTC 2009

Happy new year all youth coordinators!!!
	I hope each of you will make a goal this year to organize more
involvement of youth within your state.  We would love to see blind
youth taking more roles within our organization as well as learning from
positive blind mentors such as yourself and those in your affiliates.
The NFB Jernigan Institute is committed to seeing this happen.  We who
are part of the education team would very much like to support you in
these efforts.  Please let us know how we can be of help to you and your
affiliates.  We also encourage you to watch for updates on new resources
and ideas to come from us this year
	I know the attached email has been circling for a few days now
on various listservs, so my apologies if you have already seen it.  This
was the first time I'd seen it and I thought it would be a great thing
to be a part of.  I know it's a little short notice to arrange something
by Monday, but the idea of organizing a service project as part of this
National Service effort would be a great thing for states to do with
blind youth over the next couple of months.  Please read below for more
details and ideas.
Thanks ,
Mary Jo

***This message is from the MentorExchange Listserv. If you wish to
contact the individual that posted this message, PLEASE COPY AND PASTE
THEIR EMAIL
ADDRESS into a new message. If you wish to reply with information
relevant to the listserv as a whole, just hit "reply" and post your
comments/information.***

"Next Monday is Martin Luther King, Jr. Day.  And to honor the legacy of
a man who lived his life as a servant to others, I will ask all
Americans to make a renewed commitment to serving their communities and
their country. On Monday, my family and the Biden family will spend time
volunteering in neighborhoods around Washington.  I am asking you to
join us in that same spirit of service to others - no matter where you
live. Because I'm not just asking you to take part in one day of
service.  I am asking you to make a lasting commitment to make better
the lives of your fellow Americans - a commitment that must endure
beyond one day, or even one presidency. At this moment of great
challenge and great change, I am asking you to play your part; to roll
up your sleeves and join in the work of remaking this nation. And if you
do, then I truly believe a new and better day is within our reach."

- President-elect Barack Obama, 1/14/09

Youth Service America's Semester of Service and Global Youth Service Day
provide opportunities for young people, ages 5-25, to answer
President-elect Obama's call to service. Semester of Service provides
the framework and tools for children and youth from schools, colleges
and universities, youth centers, and faith-based organizations to
continue service started on MLK Day and sustain it over the course of
the spring semester, providing time for youth to delve deeply into an
issue and improve their communities. Global Youth Service Day (April
24-26, 2009) is the largest service event in the world and provides an
opportunity for children and youth to join with millions of their peers
around the world to improve communities and to raise awareness of
service and the role of youth as community leaders.

Plan a Semester of Service or Global Youth Service Day project:

1. Download planning resources.

*	The GYSD Project Planning Toolkit
(http://tools.ysa.org/downloads/gysd/toolkits/2009GYSDToolKit.pdf)
offers step-by-step, how-to directions for planning and implementing a
service project.
*	The GYSD Classroom Poster
(http://tools.ysa.org/downloads/gysd/Poster_Guide_2009.pdf) is a poster
on the front and project planning guide on the back.
*	The GYSD Service-Learning Curriculum Guide
(http://tools.ysa.org/downloads/curricula/2009SLCG.pdf) is a guide for
teachers and service-learning coordinators to use in implementing a
high-quality service-learning project.
*	The Semester of Service Strategy Guide
(http://tools.ysa.org/downloads/gysd/semester.pdf) is a service-learning
curriculum linking MLK Day of Service with Global Youth Service Day.
*	Request free printed copies of the Semester of Service Strategy
Guide and the GYSD Classroom Poster at:
http://www.semesterofservice.org/2008/12/request-materials.html

2. Register your project. Registering projects can help generate more
volunteers, media attention, and recognition by public officials

*	Register MLK Day projects at http://www.USAService.org
<http://www.usaservice.org/>
*	Register Semester of Service and Global Youth Service Day
projects at http://globalyouthserviceday.org/howtopost
<http://rs6.net/tn.jsp?e=001tHx3O8nWUc0ONlwpCRrrtQKZXkmwyzY1-hMpB-F3_MR-
6ZfzLOYltc-djE4xGrtzmft8rVeWpEUW9HYxTN3gb1OpErKYkpzffhfGeFbj-x1GZ6_JsLcb
KyYXl-6_CoKkcsWDy_DWkc8=>

3. Find funding.

*	Learn more about YSA's grant programs and sign up for YSA's
Grants Alert at www.ysa.org/awards
*	Grant & award opportunities are also published weekly in the
National Service Briefing:
http://www.servicewire.org/nsb/Grants-and-Awards
*	YSA also offers a free subscription to the weekly GrantStation
Insider: http://www.grantstationinsider.com/?p=subscribe&id=45

For more news, resources, and information, visit:
http://www.semesterofservice.org <http://www.semesterofservice.org/>  or
http://www.ysa.org <http://www.ysa.org/>

Michael Minks
Manager of Outreach
Youth Service America - CFC #11577
1101 15th Street, NW, Suite 200 | Washington, DC 20005
P: 202-296-2992 ext. 125 | F: 202-296-4030
mminks at ysa.org
www.YSA.org | www.SERVEnet.org | www.ServiceVote.org | www.GYSD.org
<http://www.gysd.org/>

---