[Youth-outreach] Membership Tip: How To Get Members To Commit To Your Organization

John Bailey john_bailey17 at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 12 21:18:59 UTC 2012

How To Get Members To Commit To Your Organization:
by John Bailey

When discussing how organizations can grow by retaining members and getting
new members, I tell a true story about how I became the accidental
President.

In short, this is how it goes. In the late 90s I joined the newly formed
Fairfax chapter of the national Federation of the blind. Getting to the
first meeting is a story in itself. I was very uncomfortable with my lack of
vision and even the narrowest, least traveled road, was a great impediment
to me.

Well, I made it to the first meeting and I met lots of other visually
impaired people just like myself. I didn't know anything about the NFB. So,
I decided just to sit, watch, and listen to find out how things worked.

Towards the end of the meeting, those who were running the meeting had
elections for the new chapter officers. I like participating, but I didn't
feel confident enough to run for an office. They needed someone to be the
club's vice president. I thought to myself “vice presidents don't do
anything. They just do what the presidents tell them". This is the kind of
job I wanted so I volunteered for the position and got it.

I was really looking forward to mine new job as vice president. It was going
to give me the opportunity to learn a lot about how things worked. Boy, was
I surprised, when the newly elected president of the chapter came to me at
the end of the meeting and said, “John, my husband and I will be leaving the
state in six months. You will have to take over as president at that time".
That is how I became the accidental president of the Fairfax chapter of the
national Federation of the blind. I had that job for 12 years.

I tell clubs and organizations that story to illustrate how important it is
to give some kind of responsibility to new people as soon as possible when
they arrive at your meeting. Even if they have not become a member yet, give
them some responsibility. Giving someone responsibility tells them several
things. First, it tells them that you trust them. Secondly, it tells them
that you want them to become part of your group even though they are new and
may not know much about the club. These are two very influential messages
that can make the difference between someone just showing up for a single
meeting or someone choosing to participate as a long time member.

John Bailey has been Membership Committee Chair of the National Federation
of the blind for nearly a dozen years. If you have any comments or
suggestions, please feel free to contact me directly at
JohnBaileySpeaker.com. Check out my membership development tips at
http://www.MaxMMembershipMachine.com.