[Youth-outreach] {Disarmed} JI Newsletter - Baseball, fooling, taxes...it must be April

Mark Riccobono JerniganInstitute at nfb.org
Mon Apr 1 14:27:02 UTC 2013

	IMAGINEERING OUR FUTURE

	ISSUE 52

	APRIL 2013

	IN THIS ISSUE:

	* MESSAGE FROM THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR [1]

	*

	WHAT’S NEWS AT THE NFB [2]
	*

	EDUCATION [3]
	*

	BRAILLE INITIATIVE [4]
	*

	ADVOCACY [5]
	*

	PRODUCT AND ACCESS TECHNOLOGY TALK [6]
	*

	FROM THE TENBROEK LIBRARY [7]
	*

	INDEPENDENCE MARKET [8]
	*

	NFB CALENDAR [9]
	*

	CITATION [10]

MESSAGE FROM THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR

	Dear Friends,

	This is not a joke, although I imagine that some will believe it is.
I recently returned from a trip to San Francisco where I participated
in various meetings on behalf of the National Federation of the Blind
(NFB). I typically travel by myself, although on this trip I had a
blind colleague of mine flying to the same destination. Whenever I
step into an airport I know there is one question that someone is
likely to ask me at some point, “Are you by yourself?”

	Why does it surprise people that a blind person might be out in the
world alone? Why do some people immediately assume that they have
suddenly come upon a responsibility to care for and manage me? Why is
it that the experience of encountering a blind person trying to live
well with blindness is still unusual?

	Of course, we have made progress. Consider the fundamental writing,
"The Right to Live in the World: The Disabled in the Law of Torts," by
Jacobus tenBroek [11] (_California Law Review_, May 1966). I certainly
do not think that the average person I encounter thinks that I do not
have the right to travel in the world independently, but they do not
yet expect it to happen. How do we get enough images of blind people
traveling independently, in a variety of situations, into the mind of
the average member of the general public in order to change this
expectation?

	We have initiated the Free White Cane program [12], and hundreds of
informal independent travel lessons happen every month at our local
chapter meetings when newly blind individuals meet experienced
travelers. Yet we still need more images of blind people demonstrating
their right, and their ability, to be out in the world.

	In art, on television, on stage, in sports, and in hundreds of other
places we need to show more blind people out in the world and
demonstrating that they are living well with blindness. Share what you
are doing to make this a reality in social media postings, by writing
stories for blogs, and by telling your story to other blind people. To
our sighted friends, we need you to assist in this effort by helping
others to understand your positive experience with blind people being
active in the world.

	As spring emerges and summer draws near, let’s make it our goal to
help more people understand that it is not unusual for a blind person
to be traveling alone, leading a group, or herding children (at least
I sometimes feel like it is herding). As for me, it is April so this
can only mean one thing—grab my cane and my radio and down to the
ballpark I go.

	Sincerely,

Mark A. Riccobono, Executive Director
NFB Jernigan Institute

	P.S. Thank you to all of you who responded to my request for support
for our 2013 summer science program. We could still use your help but
we have made a great deal of progress over the past month. Please
continue to encourage others to Make A Gift [13].

WHAT\\'S NEWS AT THE NFB

	VEHICLE DONATIONS NOW ACCEPTED

	The NFB has partnered with Vehicles for Charity in a vehicle donation
program. The program accepts almost any vehicle, including
automobiles, boats, motorcycles, etc. The donation may be eligible for
an exemption on the donor's federal income tax return.

	For more information or to donate your vehicle today, visit
www.nfb.org/vehicle-donations [14], or call (toll-free)
1-855-659-9314.

	IRS ASSISTANCE FOR PEOPLE WITH DISABILITIES

	It is tax time again! The IRS has accessible forms, publications, and
other tax-related products available at the IRS Accessibility page
[15]. Check the website often as they are continually growing the
number of products available for persons with disabilities.

	CONVENTION PREREGISTRATION IS OPEN

	Preregistration for the 2013 NFB National Convention is open through
May 31, 2013. The fee to preregister online is $25, compared to $30
on-site. Banquet tickets can be purchased online for $50, and will be
$60 on-site.

	To preregister online, please visit www.nfb.org/registration [16]. To
mail in your preregistration, please download the PDF version of the
form [17] and mail it to the address below no later than May 31.

	National Federation of the Blind
Attn: Convention Registration
200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place
Baltimore, MD 21230

	REQUESTS FOR ACCOMMODATIONS BASED ON DISABILITY

	The convention of the National Federation of the Blind is designed
and implemented to be accessible especially to blind people in that
materials are offered in accessible formats and other nonvisual aids
are provided (therefore special requests for these items are not
required). If you require specific accommodations based on your
disability other than the blindness-related accommodations mentioned
above in order to participate fully and equally in the convention, we
urge you to let us know as soon as possible. Specific accommodations
for which requests are required include requests for deaf or deaf
blind interpreters. Due to the size and complexity of this convention,
as well as the need to appropriately plan for additional human and
other resources, requests for specific accommodations must be
submitted no later than May 31, 2013. In order to make a request
please: 1) Preregister for the convention by visiting
www.nfb.org/registration [18]; and 2) Send your specific request for
accommodations in writing to the NFB Jernigan Institute via e-mail at
jerniganinstitute at nfb.org [19].

	Please include your name, the dates you plan to be at the convention,
information on the best way to follow up with you, and your specific
request.

EDUCATION

	NFB STEM-X

	The NFB Jernigan Institute is pleased to announce the newest National
Center for Blind Youth in Science program—NFB STEM-X. This
inquiry-based science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM)
program will provide students with learning opportunities in STEM
disciplines ranging from engineering and robotics to the science of
food and cooking. The program, to be held in the Baltimore-metro area
on the campus of Towson University from July 29 to August 3, will
serve fifty blind high school students from around the country.

	Students will specialize in one of five focus disciplines (chemistry,
computer science, engineering, robotics, and space science) . Students
will spend half of each of the four instructional days engaged in
their focus discipline, learning alongside fellow high school students
with blind and sighted STEM professionals as their guides. All five
focus disciplines will work collaboratively throughout the program,
capitalizing on each other’s expertise to innovate creative
solutions to complex problems.

	Outside of their work in their focus discipline, students will have
the opportunity to participate in enrichment activities that will
provide them with authentic learning experiences in a wider variety of
STEM disciplines. Evenings will be filled with activities that will
help students develop their leadership skills and build their
confidence while having fun and socializing with blind teens from
across the country.

	To learn more, and to apply for NFB STEM-X, visit the website [20].
If you have questions about the program, please contact Natalie
Shaheen at nshaheen at nfb.org [21].

	NFB BELL PROGRAM

	This summer, twenty-nine NFB Braille Enrichment for Literacy and
Learning (BELL) programs will be held in twenty-one states:
California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana,
Louisiana, Massachusetts, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, North
Carolina, New Mexico, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Tennessee, Texas,
Utah, and Virginia. This two-week summer program provides blind
students with much-needed Braille enrichment over the summer through
games, authentic activities, and real-world experiences. The use of
blind adult role models and creative teaching methods encourage
students to understand the importance and relevance of Braille in
their lives while having a fun time. If you have a blind child ages
four through twelve, you won’t want him or her to miss out on this
exciting learning opportunity! Visit www.nfb.org/BELL [22] to apply.

	READ ACROSS AMERICA 2013

	With the help of Braille readers across the country and the members
of the NFB, the general public had a plethora of opportunities to
learn about Braille on Read Across America Day. Fourteen videos were
submitted from Braille readers young and old. To view all of the
videos visit www.nfb.org/Read-Across-America [23], or check out the
NFB’s YouTube [24] channel. The video submitted by Christopher and
Geneva [25] was particularly creative in that they read their story on
top of a mountain. Several other Braille readers submitted pictures
showcasing the diversity of Braille. One young man from Washington
shared a picture of himself reading with the Space Needle in the
background. Our sincerest thanks to everyone who participated in this
year’s Read Across America event on March 1, and helped to ensure
that Braille was a part of the literacy conversation. The form for
submitting pictures and videos for Read Across America will be
available throughout the year. Feel free to share photos and videos of
you or your child reading, as you acquire them, so that we have a
stock-pile to share in 2014 for Read Across America.

BRAILLE INITIATIVE

CONTEST FOR BRAILLE READERS

	The Onkyo Braille Essay Contest is administered by the NFB for the
North America/Caribbean Region of the World Blind Union. Essays must
be written in Braille and in English, or their author's native
language, and must be completely original. Entries should be no fewer
than eight hundred words and no more than one thousand words.

	The contest is divided into two groups of competitors--one junior
group, aged twenty-five and under, and one senior group, aged
twenty-six and above. Prizes range from $500 to $2,000. All essays
must be received by April 30, 2013. Visit
www.nfb.org/onkyo-braille-essay-contest [26] for more information and
an application.

BRAILLE CERTIFICATION TRAINING PROGRAM

	Under a contract with the National Library Service for the Blind and
Physically Handicapped, Library of Congress (NLS), the NFB administers
the courses leading to NLS certification of Braille transcribers and
proofreaders. Successful completion of these rigorous courses requires
a great deal of time and effort on the part of the students. We
congratulate the following individuals who earned certification during
the month of January, 2013:

	LITERARY BRAILLE TRANSCRIBING

	Arkansas
   Len Barnette Yates, Wrightsville

	California
   Sharon Ellen Crockett, Walnut Creek
   Deborah C. Law Ting, Stanford
   David T. Vong, Folsom

	Florida
   Jana D. Ream, Stuart

	Idaho
   Allen Ray Cain, Boise

	Indiana
   John Maggert, Bunker Hill

	Kentucky
   Crystal Lynn Barlow, Louisville
   Roi Lynn Collett, Louisville
   Rosalee Karr, Louisville

	Michigan
   Julia LaFonde Alexander, Detroit
   Jeffery Joseph Alfano, Lincoln Park
   Emily Ruth Carter, DeWitt

	Missouri
   Ernest Phillip Crider, Jefferson City
   Bruce Dwayne Thompson, Jefferson City

	Nebraska
   Mark G. Wagner, Lincoln

	Nevada
   Richard William Graves, Las Vegas

	New Mexico
   Carmel Fatima Portugal, Albuquerque

	North Carolina
   Daniel E. Beverly, Laurinburg
   Thomas S. Long, Laurinburg
   Dennis J. Morgan, Laurinburg

	Texas
   Roberta Susan Shapiro, Plano
   Cynthia Annette Tate Villegas, Gatesville

	U.S. Virgin Islands
   Cheryl Ann Esquilin, St. Thomas

	Virginia
   Melissa Dawn Walker, Troy

	Washington
   Kim E. Lagerwey, Gig Harbor

	Wisconsin
   Cheryl Bridget Wipperfurth, West Bend

	MATHEMATICS (NEMETH) BRAILLE TRANSCRIBING

	Nebraska
   Francisco Munoz Gonzalez, Lincoln

ADVOCACY

	PETITION TO SUPPORT FAIR WAGES

	A petition to support fair wages for workers with disabilities has
been posted on the NFB website [27] for those who would like to sign
it.  The petition includes, in part, "We all speak in support of the
repeal of Section 14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), which
authorizes Special Wage Certificates that permit employers to pay
workers with disabilities subminimum wages, some as low as 3 cents per
hour."

	For more information about the issue, please visit the Fair Wages
page [28].

	AMAZON WHISPERCAST ADVOCACY UPDATE

	In recent months, Amazon.com has undertaken a massive effort to
deploy its inaccessible Kindle e-readers and Kindle e-books into K-12
classrooms across the United States. In the fall of 2012, Amazon
launched a program called Whispercast, which enables teachers and
school administrators to distribute inaccessible Kindle content to
devices other than Kindles en masse. As part of this new program,
Amazon has engaged in a mass-marketing effort. As schools adopt
Amazon’s e-book products and services, they create educational
disadvantages for students who are blind or print disabled, hindering
students’ ability to engage in the assigned curriculum. This
practice is discriminatory, illegal, and poses significant harm to the
education of blind children.

	For years, the NFB has been a strong advocate for e-books that are
fully and equally accessible. Since Amazon’s launch of Whispercast,
the NFB has amplified its efforts to keep inaccessible Kindle e-books
out of our nation’s schools. On December 12, 2012, nearly one
hundred blind people and other disability advocates marched outside
Amazon’s headquarters in Seattle, Washington, for an informational
protest organized by the NFB against the distribution of inaccessible
Kindle e-books in schools. More recently, NFB President Dr. Marc
Maurer wrote to the departments of education in all fifty states,
Puerto Rico, the District of Columbia, and to the National PTA, to
remind each entity that the implementation of inaccessible
technology–such as Whispercast–in schools, constitutes
discrimination under the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and
Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973.

	As supporters of the NFB, your assistance and advocacy is critical to
ensuring that blind students have equal access to information and
curriculum content. For more information about the inaccessibility of
Kindle e-books and Whispercast, including copies of the letters
referred to above, and to learn how you can help keep inaccessible
Kindle e-books out of your state and local schools, please visit
http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=1657&qid=121017 [29] or contact Valerie Yingling,
paralegal at the NFB, at vyingling at nfb.org [30].

	WEB SHOPPING ADVOCACY

	A recent article in the _Wall Street Journal_ describes the work done
by advocates for disability rights, including those from the NFB. When
commenting on e-commerce sites that are not accessible to blind
people, Anne Taylor, NFB director of access technology, was quoted,
"But this isn't the experience we want blind people to have. This is
not an experience a company would want a sighted person to have."
Daniel F. Goldstein, the Baltimore lawyer who represents the NFB,
explains that accessible websites are mutually beneficial by saying,
"It's what I call 'eat your spinach' litigation. The market share you
gain is more than the costs of making your site accessible." Access
the entire article here [31].

PRODUCT AND ACCESS TECHNOLOGY TALK

	The NFB; Royal National Institute of Blind People, UK (RNIB); CNIB
(Canada); Vision Australia; and other blindness organizations teamed
up at the 28th Annual International Technology and Persons with
Disabilities Conference (CSUN to the regulars or anyone with a
character limit) to advocate for accessibility in Windows Mobile 8.
This coalition also addressed an open letter to Microsoft CEO Steve
Ballmer on this topic, as Windows Mobile is now the only major mobile
phone operating system that contains no accessibility features
whatsoever.

	After presenting at CSUN, the access technology team jumped straight
into the preparations for the NFB Tactile Graphics Conference [32],
which not only looks to be the most exciting thing happening in
tactile graphics this year, but the most fun as well. In addition,
we’ll be publishing some of the resultant papers in the _Journal of
Blindness Innovation and Research [33]_ (JBIR) so that these resources
are available to the public in a more permanent location.

	In the International Braille and Technology Center, we’re
continuing to roll out improvements, with the most recent being the
upgrade of the Braillo 200 to Braillo 300 to improve production and to
better serve our membership.

FROM THE TENBROEK LIBRARY

	We are pleased to announce that the complete collection of speeches
given at the annual conventions of the NFB by Dr. Kenneth Jernigan
(1926-1998), blind civil rights advocate and significant past
president of the NFB (1968-1986), are now available in audio format on
the NFB website [34]. Thanks to an observant Federationist, and some
work on the part of NFB staff, the last missing recording was recently
identified, located, and digitized. Jernigan’s speech to the
assembled membership at the 1994 convention in Detroit, Michigan,
“Of Braille and Honeybees,” can now be streamed directly from the
website. Given recent estimates that only 10 percent of blind children
are receiving Braille instruction as part of their education, his call
to action to ensure the right of every blind person in the United
States to learn Braille continues to be as pertinent today as it was
nineteen years ago.

	Each speech is recorded in Jernigan’s own voice, most being live
recordings made during the actual convention. The collected speeches
were given over the course of his career, both before and after his
term in office, and span the years 1963 to 1997. Widely acknowledged
as a gifted orator, each speech given by Jernigan is a stirring aural
experience, presenting ideas and arguments that continue to inspire
the NFB and the organized blind movement to this day. To listen to
“Of Braille and Honeybees,” or any of the Jernigan convention
speeches, please visit our website at www.nfb.org/banquet-speeches
[35]. There you can also find audio recordings of all speeches given
by current NFB President Marc Maurer, as well as many of the speeches
given by NFB Founder Jacobus tenBroek.

INDEPENDENCE MARKET

	Not only did Kenneth Jernigan play a formative role in shaping the
NFB's empowering approach to blindness, he also had a significant
impact on the blindness system itself. Kenneth Jernigan served as our
president from 1968 to 1986, and played a notable role in the
organization both before and after his presidency. Although he died
almost fifteen years ago, we still read his many writings, which span
more than thirty-five years, to learn about how to view blindness as
simply a characteristic, among many, that does not have to limit our
capacity to live productive and fulfilled lives. "Blindness: Handicap
or Characteristic," [36] from 1963, and "The Nature of Independence,"
[37] from 1993, are two of the many speeches we still frequently
distribute to those who want to learn more about how the NFB
approaches blindness. Many of Jernigan's writings can be found online
via our literature page [38]. It is also worth taking a look at our
Kernel Book series [39]--Kenneth Jernigan edited the first fifteen
volumes of this series of stories written by blind individuals about
our everyday experiences. Each volume also contains a contribution
from the editor. Many of Jernigan's formal presentations can be found
under the national convention banquet speeches [40] and other
important addresses page.

	After his death, a sampling of Jernigan's work was collected in the
book: _Kenneth Jernigan: The Master, the Mission, the Movement_ [41],
edited by Marc Maurer.

	James Omvig later wrote _The Blindness Revolution: Jernigan in His
Own Words_, which recounts the story of the transformation of the Iowa
Commission for the Blind to an effective service agency in a span of
ten years.

	Copies of these books, as well as many other Jernigan writings, can
be obtained from the NFB Independence Market in various formats. For
further information send an e-mail to IndependenceMarket at nfb.org [42],
or call 410-659-9314, extension 2216.

	On a less serious note, for those that need more jokes and
foolishness in their lives, _The Bell, The Clapper, and The Cord: Wit
and Witticism_ [43] can be found in the Independence Market. No
fooling!

NFB CALENDAR

	UPCOMING EVENTS

	NFB Tactile Graphics Conference [44]: April 12-13, 2013

	Jacobus tenBroek Law Symposium [45]: April 18-19, 2013

	NFB BELL Program [46]: Summer 2013

	DOT DASH 8K Race [47]: June 2, 2013

	NFB National Convention [48]: July 1-6, 2013

	STATE CONVENTIONS

	New Hampshire [49] – April 5-7, 2013

	Oklahoma [50] – April 5-7, 2013

	Delaware [51] – April 12-14, 2013

	Idaho [52] – April 12-14, 2013

	Missouri [53] – April 12-14, 2013

	New Mexico [54] – April 12-14, 2013

	Wisconsin [55] – April 12-14, 2013

	Louisiana [56] – April 19-21, 2013

	South Dakota [57] – April 19-21, 2013

	Utah [58] – May 3-5, 2013

	Florida [59] – May 24-26, 2013

CITATION

	"On one thing, however, there can be no doubt. The National
Federation of the Blind is absolutely and irrevocably committed to the
achievement of Braille literacy for the blind of this country. On this
issue we will not equivocate; we will not compromise; and we will not
quit. It must—it will be done."

	--Kenneth Jernigan, "Of Braille and Honeybees [60]", 1994 NFB
National Convention banquet speech, Detroit, Michigan

	Thank you for reading the NFB Jernigan Institute’s _Imagineering
Our Future_.

	Help make a significant difference in the lives of blind people
across the country.

	MAKE A GIFT TODAY [61]

	Back to Top [62]

	MAKE A GIFT TODAY [63]

	Please check with your company to see if it offers a matching program
that will match your gift.

	IF THIS ISSUE WAS FORWARDED TO YOU AND YOU WOULD LIKE TO SUBSCRIBE,
PLEASE E-MAIL JERNIGANINSTITUTE at NFB.ORG. [64]

	TO DONATE A VEHICLE TO THE NFB, CALL TOLL-FREE 1-855-659-9314

	OR VISIT OUR

	VEHICLE DONATION [65] PAGE.

	INTERESTING LINKS:

	Archive of Straight Talk about Vision Loss videos [66]

	National Center for Blind Youth in Science [67]

	Access Technology Tips [68]

	TeachBlindStudents.org [69]

	BLOGS:

	Access Technology [70]

	Support the Jernigan Institute through the _Imagination Fund._ [71]

	  Unsubscribe [72]
 National Federation of the Blind200 East Wells Street
at Jernigan Place
Baltimore, MD 21230
United States
410 659-9314