[Youth-outreach] {Disarmed} JI Newsletter - STEM Support

Mark Riccobono JerniganInstitute at nfb.org
Fri Mar 1 17:17:14 UTC 2013

	IMAGINEERING OUR FUTURE

	ISSUE 51

	MARCH 2013

	IN THIS ISSUE:

	* MESSAGE FROM THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR [1]

	*

	WHAT’S NEWS AT THE NFB [2]
	*

	EDUCATION [3]
	*

	BRAILLE INITIATIVE [4]
	*

	ADVOCACY [5]
	*

	PRODUCT AND ACCESS TECHNOLOGY TALK [6]
	*

	FROM THE TENBROEK LIBRARY [7]
	*

	INDEPENDENCE MARKET [8]
	*

	NFB CALENDAR [9]
	*

	CITATION [10]

MESSAGE FROM THE EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR

	Dear Friends,

	While there is a great deal of debate about sequestration and how to
solve the government budget issues, there is one aspect of the
American fabric that is not getting enough attention—the critical
role of nonprofit organizations. Yes, I am slightly biased. However, I
have worked on educational programs in a state government agency and I
can contrast that experience with what we do in the National
Federation of the Blind. Of course, I also believe that the NFB is
among the top tier of nonprofit organizations. Driven by volunteer
members at the local level, offering a wide variety of programs to
address member priorities, carrying no debt, and powered better than
ninety percent by donations from individuals and sponsors (as opposed
to government support), the NFB continues to push into new frontiers
and help the nation’s blind increase their independence.

	As we enter March, we do need your help. For the past decade we have
been offering summer educational programs for blind youth in science,
technology, engineering, and math (STEM). These programs have helped
change perceptions, spin off the establishment of new accessible
products, inform educational practices, and raise expectations for the
blind in STEM-related subjects. During our recent Washington Seminar,
Dr. Maurer announced that the NFB will again offer a program for blind
high school students this summer. However, while we have received some
grant funding, we still find ourselves approximately $25,000 short of
where we need to be to adequately support our summer STEM program in
2013. This is where we need your help--to rally support for the
NFB’s STEM programming. We are hoping to raise these needed funds in
the next two weeks in order to make it possible for fifty blind
students to travel to Baltimore to participate in a dynamic education
program.

	Please consider making a general donation [11] online today and
encourage your friends and family to do so as well. Please share this
information on social media sites. You can also download our donation
form and donate now by mail [12]. When you make your contribution,
please note that you are responding to this request to support our
summer STEM programs. Our individual efforts, collectively focused,
will help us invest in providing blind young people better access to
the key subjects of the twenty-first century.

	As we struggle as a nation with the hard decisions about how to
stabilize our federal budget for the future, let’s not forget that
there are great organizations in our communities doing great work
driven by the contributions of individuals who want to make a
difference. Thank you for your role in helping us provide educational
opportunities to the blind across America.

	Sincerely,

Mark A. Riccobono, Executive Director
NFB Jernigan Institute

WHAT\\'S NEWS AT THE NFB

	NFB SCHOLARSHIPS AVAILABLE

	The NFB annually awards thirty national scholarships. Blind college
students in the United States and Puerto Rico have the opportunity to
win one of the scholarships, worth from $3,000 to $12,000. To be
eligible for consideration, each applicant must (1) be legally blind
[13] in both eyes; (2) reside in the United States, the District of
Columbia, or Puerto Rico; (3) be pursuing or planning to pursue a
full-time, postsecondary course of study in a degree program at a
United States institution in the 2013 scholastic year, except that one
scholarship may be given to a person employed full-time while
attending school part-time; and (4) participate in the entire NFB
national convention and in all of its scheduled scholarship program
activities, July 1 through July 6, departing on July 7.

	In addition to a scholarship, each winner will receive assistance to
attend the 2013 NFB National Convention in Orlando, Florida, providing
an excellent opportunity for high-level networking with active blind
persons in many different professions and occupations.

	For more information, go to the NFB Web site at
http://nfb.org/sites/all/modules/civicrm/extern/url.php?u=1453&qid=111868 [14], or call (410) 659-9314, extension
2415.

	DOT DASH 8K

	The NFB DOT DASH 8K race will be held Sunday, June 2, 2013. The race
will start and finish at the NFB Jernigan Institute, and will be run
through South Baltimore, including Fort McHenry. Participants can
register for the race March 1 through the day of the race, with a
discount for those that register prior to March 31.

	For more information about sponsorship opportunities, contact
Meredith Paone at 410-659-9314, extension 2434. If you are interested
in DOT DASH 8K volunteer opportunities, or for more information about
the race, contact Lou Ann Blake at 410-659-9314, extension 2221, or
visit the NFB Web site [15].

EDUCATION

	READ ACROSS AMERICA

	Don’t forget, March 1 is Read Across America Day. Help ensure
Braille is a part of the conversation on this literacy-focused day by
doing the following:

	1. Read Dr. Seuss! This is what this day is all about. You can find
Dr. Seuss books in Braille online to download at Bookshare [16] or
from NLS [17], and you can find hardcopy Braille books at National
Braille Press [18].

	2. Send in pictures [19] of you or your child reading a Braille book
near landmarks or other identifiable places. We want to show the world
that blind people read Braille across America by showcasing pictures
of Braille readers in the desert, on a beach, at Disney World, at the
Grand Canyon, and the like. Chosen pictures will be posted on nfb.org
[20], on the NFB’s Facebook page [21], and tweeted by @NFB_Voice
[22].

	3. Send us a video [23] of your child reading Braille or showcasing
how you will celebrate Dr. Seuss’s birthday. A selection of the
submitted videos will be posted on Facebook, the NFB’s YouTube
channel [24], and tweeted by @NFB_Voice [25]. Josey and Angel (one
Braille reader and one print reader) submitted a great video [26] for
Read Across America Day last year. Have fun, get creative, and show
the world why you love Braille!

	4. Tell us about what you are reading. Whether you are reading Dr.
Seuss or not, we still want to hear about it. Post about it on
Facebook and Twitter using the hashtags #Braille and #NEAReads (the
official Read Across America hashtag). You can talk about what you are
reading, suggest books, ask for suggestions, or post about why you
love Braille and why it is important, or about anything else. We want
to hear from you!

	DISCOVER ENGINEERING FAMILY DAY

	On February 16, members of the NFB participated in Discover
Engineering Family Day—an engineering-focused STEM program for
youth—at the National Building Museum in Washington D.C. The ten
thousand people who attended the event had an opportunity to partake
in several interactive activities at the NFB’s booth. Children could
try their hand at driving using nonvisual information on the NFB Blind
Driver Challenge simulator. The tire- changing station provided
children with the opportunity to learn that vision is not a
requirement for success, as they learned to change a tire without the
use of their sight. Youth put their engineering know-how to work
constructing NFB Blind Driver Challenge rubber band cars. The children
also learned to crack the Braille code with a little help from blind
adults.

	As the children were learning and having fun, they had the
opportunity to talk to several blind adults—some of whom were
engineers. We love STEM at the NFB Jernigan Institute and it was
wonderful to have the opportunity to interact with so many young
people, teach them a little engineering, introduce them to the NFB
Blind Driver Challenge, and most importantly teach them about the
capacity of blind people.

BRAILLE INITIATIVE

BRAILLE CERTIFICATION TRAINING PROGRAM

	Under a contract with the National Library Service for the Blind and
Physically Handicapped, Library of Congress (NLS), the NFB administers
the courses leading to NLS certification of Braille transcribers and
proofreaders. Successful completion of these rigorous courses requires
a great deal of time and effort on the part of the students. We
congratulate the following individuals who earned certification during
the month of December, 2012:

	LITERARY BRAILLE TRANSCRIBING

	California
   Jeanenne Marie Shortridge, Orange
   Emily Yang, Fresno

	Indiana
   Troy Thomas, Bunker Hill

	Nevada
   Christopher Lee Cyr, Las Vegas
   Timothy Leroy Williams, Las Vegas

	New Jersey
   Susan Lind Kobler, Essex Fells

	New York
   Melissa Nora Pavo Zehr, Lowville

	North Carolina
   Johnathan Maddox, Laurinburg
   Jason Moss, Laurinburg

	Tennessee
   Rebecca Ann Kuhn, Nashville

	Texas
   Elizabeth Jane Burke, Gatesville
   Michelle Leigh Collins, Gatesville
   Brandi Michelle Davis, Gatesville
   Jacquelene Marie Wilson, Gatesville

	Wyoming
   Robert Lee Clegg, Torrington

	LITERARY BRAILLE PROOFREADING

	Kentucky
   Joy Denice Robinson, Louisville

	MATHEMATICS (NEMETH) BRAILLE TRANSCRIBING

	Kentucky
   Shara Anjela Legaspi Lucio, Louisville

	Michigan
   Wilmot Marion Bowen, Jackson

	MUSIC BRAILLE TRANSCRIBING

	Texas
   Donna Mae Simon Rogers, Copperas Cove

ADVOCACY

	BILL FOR DISABLED VETERANS IN SPACE AVAILABLE PROGRAM

	Companion bills have been introduced that would, if passed, reverse
the exclusion of service-disabled veterans from the Space Available
program. The military's program allows active-duty military, Red Cross
employees, and retired members of the armed services to travel on
military aircraft if there is space available. Since 100 percent
service-disabled veterans do not fall into one of these categories,
they are not eligible to participate in the program. H.R. 164 was
introduced in the United States House of Representatives by
Representative Gus Bilirakis (R-FL), and S. 346 was introduced in the
United States Senate by Senator Jon Tester (D-MT) and Senator Dean
Heller (R-NV). For more information, see the NFB press release [27] or
Senator John Tester's Web site [28].

PRODUCT AND ACCESS TECHNOLOGY TALK

	Earlier this year, longtime accessibility champion Desire2Learn
pledged to continue their work to keep their learning management
system accessible to blind students under the NFB NVA Certification.
We look forward to working with them on their certification--few of
our partners have such a thorough grasp of the importance and the
implementation of accessibility.

	There have been a few changes to the Tactile Graphics conference
schedule, so for those of you who like tactile images, in 2D or 3D,
have a look. The ranks of the attendees have been swelling rapidly.
For the latest information, visit
www.nfb.org/tactilegraphicsconference [29].

	The end of February marked the start of the 28th Annual International
Technology and Persons with Disabilities Conference in San Diego,
California. The access technology team presented and spent time
absorbing as much as possible. Our topics this year were “Usable Out
of the Box? Google Android, Apple iOS, and Windows 8 Mobile
Face-off” (two sessions) and “Using Mainstream Devices as
Notetakers.”

	On the access technology blog [30], there is a new and extensive
review of the American Foundation for the Blind’s AccessNote app.

FROM THE TENBROEK LIBRARY

	The archives at the tenBroek Library is home to many wonderful
collections that document the lives of blind people in all walks of
life, from the great leaders of the organized blind movement to the
blind child who attended public school in the 1950s. We also preserve
the work of sighted inventors and innovators who have made a
significant contribution to the equality and opportunities of the
blind. Our collections include materials in print, Braille, audio, and
electronic formats, and can range from hundreds of boxes to just a few
folders. If you are interested in donating your personal or
professional papers to the archives at the tenBroek Library, please
contact Anna Kresmer at (410) 659-9314, extension 2310, or at
akresmer at nfb.org [31]. Please visit our finding aid database, the Cane
Tip [32], to learn more about our growing archival holdings.

	Spotlight Collection:
The Dorothy Elve Tombaugh Collection, 1961-1999
5.5 Linear Feet (4 Hollinger boxes, 2 slide boxes, and 3 artifact
boxes)

	Dr. Dorothy Elve Tombaugh (1917-2009) was a public high school
biology teacher who became an expert in the area of accessible science
education in the 1960s and 1970s. Upon encountering several blind
students in her classroom, she sought to make both her lessons and her
laboratory accessible to these and other disabled students. She
developed new teaching methods, techniques, and equipment
modifications, which benefited both her blind and sighted students,
and went on to publish several articles on the subject. Through grants
from the National Science Foundation, she traveled the country as a
lecturer and consultant on accessible science education.

	The Tombaugh Collection spans the years 1970-1999, with the bulk of
the material dating from 1970 to 1984, and relates mainly to
Tombaugh’s work developing, writing, and lecturing on teaching
techniques and equipment adaptations for disabled students in the
mainstream high school science classroom. The collection includes
correspondence, grant proposals, reports, agendas, itineraries, and
manuscripts. Tombaugh’s color presentation slides used during her
lecture tours are also included, as well as a talking blood pressure
monitor, a Braille label maker, and a set of hand-held tools used in
the creation of Braille text and tactile graphics.

INDEPENDENCE MARKET

	Through the Independence Market, the NFB distributes our literature
to members and the general public. We also make blindness-related
products available for sale.

	During these cold, dreary winter days, when many prefer to spend as
much time as possible indoors, it's fun to spend time with family and
friends by playing board and card games. The Independence Market has a
variety of these for sale. The offerings include various large-print
and Braille playing cards [33], as well as pinochle [34] and Uno
[35]® cards. Among the board games are such favorites as checkers,
chess [36], backgammon [37], and tic-tac-toe [38] in addition to
less-familiar games like Nine Men’s Morris [39], Fox and Geese [40],
Shut the Box [41], and Sudoku [42]. We also have various versions of
dominoes [43] and bingo cards [44] as well as Megaword [45], a board
game similar to Scrabble®.

	Some individuals may prefer to adapt a commercially available game
themselves to make it accessible. Decks of cards can be labeled in
Braille using a slate and stylus [46]. Game pieces and/or game boards
may be marked with stick-on Braille labels [47], stick-on bumps [48],
or tactile marking paint [49]. With some creativity many games can be
made accessible through such simple means. And the Independence Market
has the tools needed to create need adaptations.

	Any of the above games as well as the other products offered through
the NFB Independence Market may be ordered online [50]. Please e-mail
us at IndependenceMarket at nfb.org [51] with any questions.
Alternatively, you may contact us by phone at 410-659-9314, extension
2216, Monday through Friday from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Eastern Time.

NFB CALENDAR

	UPCOMING EVENTS

	Tactile Graphics Conference [52]: April 12-13, 2013

	Jacobus tenBroek Law Symposium [53]: April 18-19, 2013

	DOT DASH 8K Race [54]: June 2, 2013

	2013 NFB National Convention [55]: July 1-6, 2013

	STATE CONVENTIONS

	Alabama [56] – March 1-3, 2013

	Tennessee [57] – March 8-10, 2013

	Mississippi [58] – March 22-24, 2013

	New Hampshire [59] – April 5-7, 2013

	Oklahoma [60] – April 5-7, 2013

	Delaware [61] – April 12-14, 2013

	Idaho [62] – April 12-14, 2013

	Missouri [63] – April 12-14, 2013

	New Mexico [64] – April 12-14, 2013

	Wisconsin [65] – April 12-14, 2013

	Louisiana [66] – April 19-21, 2013

	South Dakota [67] – April 19-21, 2013

	Utah [68] – May 3-5, 2013

	Florida [69] – May 24-26, 2013

CITATION

	"Our decision is made; we will not be left out, or slowed in our
progress, or stopped. The journey toward full integration is not
without cost, but we are prepared for the hardships ahead. Whatever
resources are demanded, we will find them. Whatever challenges come,
we will meet them. This is the choice we have made, and we will not
quit until we reach the goal. Join with me and with Federationists
throughout the land, and we will make it come true!"

	--Marc Maurer, "The Value of Decision [70]", 2009 NFB National
Convention Banquet Speech, Detroit, Michigan

	Thank you for reading the NFB Jernigan Institute’s _Imagineering
Our Future_.

	Help make a significant difference in the lives of blind people
across the country.

	MAKE A GIFT TODAY [71]

	Back to Top [72]

	MAKE A GIFT TODAY [73]

	Please check with your company to see if it offers a matching program
that will match your gift.

	IF THIS ISSUE WAS FORWARDED TO YOU AND YOU WOULD LIKE TO SUBSCRIBE,
PLEASE E-MAIL JERNIGANINSTITUTE at NFB.ORG. [74]

	Support the Jernigan Institute through the _Imagination Fund_ [75]

	INTERESTING LINKS:

	Archive of Straight Talk about Vision Loss videos [76]

	National Center for Blind Youth in Science [77]

	Access Technology Tips [78]

	TeachBlindStudents.org [79]

	BLOGS:

	Access Technology [80]

	  Unsubscribe [81]
 National Federation of the Blind200 East Wells Street
at Jernigan Place
Baltimore, MD 21230
United States
410 659-9314