[Art_beyond_sight_theory_and_research] art, Monet, photography

Lisa Yayla fnugg at online.no
Wed Jul 22 14:01:01 UTC 2009

excerpt
At the moment I'm trying to paint the bark of a tree very, very rough so
you can feel it. It's been done so a blind person can feel what I've
done. That's what my art teacher, Peter Goodhall, has taught me."
http://www.thisisexeter.co.uk/features/Stephanie-hopes-competition-win-lead-great-things/article-1178112-detail/article.html
excerpt
Vision and art
July 20, 2009 by EyeWorld
<http://www.cataractoutsourcing.com/author/eyeworld/>
Filed under Eyeworld
<http://www.cataractoutsourcing.com/category/syndicated-articles/eyeworld/>
Leave a Comment
<http://www.cataractoutsourcing.com/syndicated-articles/eyeworld/vision-art/#respond>

Oscar Wilde famously paraphrased Ovid when he said, “Life imitates art
far more than art imitates life.” The mutual influence of life and art
on one another inspired a group of art and vision experts to explore the
intersections of the worlds of art and vision at the November 2008
annual meeting of the American Academy of Ophthalmology
<http://www.cataractoutsourcing.com/tag/ophthalmology/> in Atlanta.
Michael F. Marmor, M.D., professor of ophthalmology
<http://www.cataractoutsourcing.com/tag/ophthalmology/>, Stanford
University School of Medicine, Palo Alto, Calif., and James Ravin, M.D.,
Toledo, Ohio, surveyed the works of many great artists to reveal what
Dr. Marmor called “the implications of blindness for the artist.” Many
well-known artists suffered from visually debilitating ocular diseases,
said Dr. Ravin, and in many cases, the progression of their visual
declines are manifested in their art.
http://www.cataractoutsourcing.com/syndicated-articles/eyeworld/vision-art/

excerpt
Gadget Lab Hardware News and Reviews <http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab>
Blind Photographers Use Gadgets to Realize Artistic Vision
Gadget Lab Hardware News and Reviews Blind Photographers Use Gadgets to
Realize Artistic Vision
By Brian X. Chen July 16, 2009 | 8:30 pm | Categories: Cameras

When a brain tumor caused professional photographer Alex Dejong to lose
his eyesight three years ago, he turned to gadgets to continue making
his art.

Carrying around a Nokia N82 cellphone, Dejong used assistive software to
translate sounds into visuals in his mind. After stitching together a
mental image of his surroundings, he snapped photos with his Canon and
Leica digital cameras.

But Dejong’s blindness is acute: He can only perceive light and dark.
Because Dejong could not see his own photographs, he hired an assistant
for editing. Until recently, editing was a part of the creative workflow
that he thought he’d lost forever. And then to his surprise, Apple’s
iPhone 3GS, which launched late June, gave him back the ability to edit
photos.

The new iPhone has a feature called VoiceOver, which reads back anything
a user places his finger over on the screen: e-mail, web pages, system
preferences and so on. Beyond that, photo-editing applications such as
CameraBag and Tilt-Shift perform automated editing tasks that blind
users like Dejong could not otherwise do on their own.

A photo of a cup shot with the iPhone 3GS. Photo: Alex Dejong
“With the iPhone and a lot of the photography apps that a lot of people
are using, I have my entire workflow, and I can do it in five minutes,”
Dejong said. “In this way, the iPhone is a remarkable gift. I’ve had it
for three weeks now, and it has really opened up my world, apart from
the photography.”

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/07/blind-photographers/