[Art_beyond_sight_theory_and_research] Escher, fingers and eyes

Lisa Yayla fnugg at online.no
Sat Feb 6 11:06:29 UTC 2010

Hello,
Another question that I was wondering about and wondering if you have
any thoughts about it.
My question follows:

It is often said that fingers become eyes.

Can  eyes become fingers?

Is that what Escher is doing in his art?

That is - Eyes try to follow along in his graphics, like feeling behind
and around, as fingers do in say a  real model

Eyes try to follow along in his graphics as fingers would.

That is eyes try to act as fingers, feeling around and behind? Is this
what Escher is doing in his art, takes our eyes and makes them into fingers?
Perhaps he pushes our eyes in to a more "finger" modus then in other 2-d
representations.

Is there a place in the brain where eye and touch come together and when
they do the one can take on the job of the other?  That is though they
do very  do different jobs  - their jobs  are very related so  one can
substitute for  the other or in some cases try to do the work of the other?

The question is a jumble but I hope you get the gist of what I am asking.

Thanks,

Lisa