[Art_beyond_sight_theory_and_research] 11th & 12th fingers: Hands, eyes and tentacles

Simon Hayhoe simon_hayhoe at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jan 15 11:54:15 UTC 2010

Hi Lisa,
Thankyou for this. You observe correctly in one sense, and that is that I should have added the word "immediately", which was the thrust of Molyneux's question to this, and is the basis of the debate at the time of whether sense was innate, or God given - and hence blind people could not find God as a result. Broadly speaking Catholics were very pro nature, and  many protestants were therefore for very pro-nurture - the history of the question, not admittedly the reason for Gregory's study - is vital here: "Suppose a man born blind, and now adult, and taught by his touch to distinguish between a cube and a sphere of the same metal, and nighly of the same bigness, so as to tell, when he felt one and the other, which is the cube, which the sphere. Suppose then the cube and sphere placed on a table, and the blind man be made to see: quaere, whether by his sight, before he touched them, he could now distinguish and tell which is the globe, which the cube?"

If you look at SB's case study he made "rapid progress", i.e. he learnt very quickly, but he did not make immediate associations before he touched them. In this case, if he had made immediate associations, it would prove the nature argument. However, in many cases he made only rapid progress and in a small number of instances little or no progress at all - particularly reading, which Gregory dimisses as a crisis of confidence, but not why this would have affected reading and not the other things.

Some instances that are made in SBs case should be re-read, however, Lisa. It is vital to understand the nature of the learning of sight. The two most interesting instances were when SB saw from a high window for the first time. This led him to lean out and almost fall several flights, as he did not have any understanding of depth perception, and also his need to feel objects he had previously touched at Bristol Museum when the glass cases were removed. In this case, he only recognised them after touching, not when he saw them. This he described as cross-modal transfer, and is a concept of Robert's description of the over-lapping senses. Gregory described this to me as the sense data from one perception being able to interpreted through the sense data of another - I hope I am not miss-quoting this, as it was 15+ years ago.

Perhaps to understand Gregory's need to argue and conclude as he did, you need also to read the studies which Gregory was trying to argue against, and particularly disprove. In one way Gregory was pro-Revesz, who was anti-Von Senden's belief that blind people could not understand any artistic concepts at all - so proved wrong ever since, that he has become merely a footnote in history now - in another anti-Revesz, who argued that blind people could understand artistic objects on a very superficial level, but had no creative ability - which was later disproved initially by Lowenfeld, the great art educator, who discussed visual and haptic types - and in yet another anti-Hebb, who believed that the senses could only ever be understood as discrete and nothing else, full stop, ad infinitum! Sorry, library duty, will have to finish later...