[Art_beyond_sight_theory_and_research] Blind people in Delhi click photographs

Lisa Yayla fnugg at online.no
Fri Mar 5 08:49:37 UTC 2010

excerpt
Blind people in Delhi click photographs
"I used to wonder how people could take pictures. Now, I am happy that I
too can do it. My camera captures my imagination," says Nikhil Mundhe,
born with visual disability. Mudhe, alongwith 15 others, is part of the
"Blind with Camera" project, which aims to integrate visually impaired
into mainstream society through photography.
Partho Bhowmick, the brain behind the Mumbai-based project conducted the
first photography workshop for the blind in 2006 which saw participation
increasing over the years.
"Photography by the visually impaired reveals that a photograph can be
made successfully in the mind as much as by the eyes, free from
techniques and rules followed by sighted photographers. It illuminates a
new line of thought distinct
from the way we look at this art," says Bhowmick.
"Using various tactile, audio clues, visual memories of sight, the
warmth of light and other cognitive skills they create a mental image
before deciding to click a picture. The camera is used as an extension
of their self to explore the visual world," he adds.
Bhowmick, who is an IT professional, chanced upon a book by a French
author detailing the process whereby even a blind person can click pictures.
Bhowmick researched the subject and enlisted the support of friends to
start the "Blind with Camera" series. The almost impossible project,
however had to face some real roadblocks before taking off.
"Convincing the blind that they can take pictures was very tough. It
took me six months to get the first student to attend my first workshop
which was conducted free of cost.

http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report_blind-people-in-delhi-click-photographs_1352835