[Art_beyond_sight_theory_and_research] Turkey: Blind photographer

fnugg at online.no fnugg at online.no
Mon Oct 11 15:39:06 UTC 2010

Blind photographer: ‘The photographs I want to see the most are the ones
of my son’

"Civan İlici
If I asked, “Can a blind person take a photograph?” I am sure many would
say “no.” I used to think the same way until I met Cıvan İlici, Turkey’s
first blind photographer.

İlici, who first picked up a camera as part of the Blind Photographers
Project in 2007, has been taking pictures of beautiful images that he
can’t see ever since. He photographs of all kinds of subjects, including
the sky, the sea, a young girl selling flowers and trees. But the images
he most desires to see the most are those of his son, Ege Arda. “If I
could, I would want to see my son’s face and the books that I have
read,” he said. Nowadays İlici is waiting for his exhibition, titled “I
am looking at İstanbul with my eyes closed,” to open at the
soon-to-be-established Museum of the Blind.
It would be an injustice to only mention İlici’s skills as a
photographer because he also has countless other talents. He graduated
from Boğaziçi University’s psychology department and is currently a
researcher at the same department. He is also a cultural psychologist
who provides opportunities for visually impaired people in Turkey to
learn how to use computer technologies and he conducts psychological
analyses of obstacles the visually impaired face. During my interview
with İlici, Turkey’s first blind photographer, I felt a little
uncomfortable using the world “blind.” But in a cool, calm and happy
manner he told me to relax and said the word doesn’t really signify
anything.

First pictures were of garbage bins

Nuri Kaya, the director of the Blind Photographers Project, approached
İlici in 2007 and asked him to take some photographs. Explaining why the
first thing he decided to photograph was a garbage bin, İlici said: “As
a person who can’t see, I used to wait a long time before I could cross
the street. And while I waited, the smell from the garbage bin would
accompany me. Just like how people avoid garbage bins because they
smell, they try to avoid us because we are blind. Garbage bins
relentlessly wait in the same place without complaining. So do we. There
is something mystical about waiting. Waiting is meaningful.”

This is how İlici’s journey in photography began. After taking some
photography lessons at Mimar Sinan Fine Arts University, he took a big
step towards realizing a life-long dream. İlici had been writing poetry
from a young age and had always been interested in literature and art.
“There were many things inside of me that I wanted to express. But words
were not enough for me to express them. I started contemplating whether
there were others way in which I could express myself. Then Kaya came to
me with this project. I decided I could express myself much better
through photographs,” he said.

Noting that his perspective on life, literature, poetry and art changed
once he started taking photographs, İlici said he believes a photograph
is a visual art that represents the unseen parts of an iceberg and that
photographs are comprised of imagination and ideas.

The ability to see imprisons people

Making the comment that he feels sorry for people who can see, İlici
said ability to see imprisons people in a world of concrete images,
materialism and light. “The ability to see is a large prison in which
people are kept captive. Because they are imprisoned its very difficult
for them to understand life, to appreciate what God has given them, to
appreciate their abilities and to understand what they can do.”

He explained that he has often been asked whether he would want to be
able to see and what he would want to see. But he only took the question
seriously when his 7-year-old son Ege Arda asked it. His response to his
son was truly meaningful and moving. İlici tearfully said what he wants
to see the most is his son’s face and the books that he has read or
wants to read. Aside from these two things, he said would also like to
see the photographs he has taken. But İlici does not hold on to the
photographs he takes. “A photographer who can see can touch, view and
keep his photographs. But mine slip through my hands and it makes me
feel like I have lost a child,” he says as the words get stuck in his
throat.

I am looking at İstanbul with my eyes closed

The Blind Photographers Project is expected to evolve into an exhibition
that will be displayed in the Museum of the Blind, to be established
sometime in the next few years. While speaking of the museum, it is
evident that this is a very exciting project for İlici. Photographs on
exhibit will constitute images of İstanbul taken by 100 people who are
totally blind. The exhibition will be titled “I am looking at İstanbul
with my eyes closed” and around 200 academics and journalists --
including İskender Pala, Ali Ural, Adalet Ağaoğlu, Ece Temel Kuran,
Sunay Akın -- are expected to write about the photographs. The
photographs and the texts will be placed side by side. The texts will be
in Braille to provide two different methods of seeing. While those who
can see the photographs will most likely not be able to read the text,
those who can read the text will most likely not be able to see the
photograph. The exhibition will highlight themes of blindness, life,
art, city perceptions and methods of seeing."

http://www.todayszaman.com/tz-web/news-223974-101-blind-photographer-the-photographs-i-want-to-see-the-most-are-the-ones-of-my-son.html