[Art_beyond_sight_theory_and_research] Artist, Alvin Ailey, pottery, photography

Lisa Yayla Lisa.Yayla at statped.no
Fri Dec 9 14:44:47 UTC 2011

excerpts and links to articles that may be of interest

Images from the 'mind's eye'

Abby Griffith has always wanted to make pictures. Every time she smelled flowers or heard the sound of flowing water, she felt the urge to capture them.

She didn't believe it would ever be possible. Griffith is blind.
"I was always wondering how to take pictures," she said. "I want to take pictures of everything, but I don't know how."
http://www.oregonlive.com/clark-county/index.ssf/2011/12/images_from_the_minds_eye.html

AIDS Day powerfully personal for larger-than-life Alvin Ailey
American dancer and choreographer Alvin Ailey (1931-1989) instructs students during a class for the blind and visually impaired, New York City. Ailey founded the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater. (Photo by Vic de Lucia/New York Times Co./Getty Images)
http://www.thegrio.com/specials/world-aids-day-2011/aids-day-powerfully-personal-for-alvin-ailey.php

Pottery by blind artists showing at Noyes through Dec. 8

GALLOWAY – An exhibit of sculpture created by blind people is running through Thursday, Dec. 8 at the Noyes Museum of Art on Lily Lake Road.

This summer the museum taught pottery classes for the blind and visually impaired at the John D. Young Memorial Lions Blind Center in Absecon. With the assistance of teacher Janney Thompson Murtha, students created boxes, pots, mugs and bowls.

"We used a potters' wheel and finished our products with glazing and firing," Center Director Ann Burns said. "The students were so engaged with the project that the trustees agreed to pay for a second round of four classes. During those classes, the students created portrait heads or busts as they are commonly known."

http://www.shorenewstoday.com/snt/news/index.php/galloway-twp/galloway-twp-events/18812-pottery-by-blind-artists-showing-at-noyes-through-dec-8.html

article

Invitation: CLICK RIGHTS - photo exhibition by the visually impaired and sighted photographers on challenges faced by disabled children in education and participation at the Bajaj Art Gallery Mumbai on 3rd Dec 2011 from 10.30am to 6.30pm<http://mammovies.posterous.com/invitation-click-rights-photo-exhibition-by-t>

http://mammovies.posterous.com/invitation-click-rights-photo-exhibition-by-t

blog

Chico Sanchez Blog

Odilon, The Organ Grinder - Blind and Visually Impaired Photo Workshop Projects

http://chicosanchezphotos.blogspot.com/2011/11/odilon-organ-grinder-blind-and-visually.html

-Scanned by Exchange Hosted Services-