[Art_beyond_sight_theory_and_research] Term - relief vs tactile

Simon Hayhoe simon_hayhoe at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jan 20 15:55:49 UTC 2012

Hi Lisa,
Please see below from my experience, although others may know better:

Tactile = anything that is designed primarily to be touched, no matter what its form.

Relief = the tactile element "stands proud", i.e. it is raised. This is not the only form. For example, some graphics are intaglio, i.e. they tactile information is below the suface of the graphics' plane. Esref Armagan draws on card and the information he derives is below the surface plane.

Haptic = traditionally means information - anything - that is derived primarily non-visually. However, in research this has more generally come to mean tactile, as it is assumed that this is the primary source of information for blind people. My four senses project begged to differed - this is described in a book I have just sent to my publishers, so this is also a bit of an advert...

I hope this helps, but as I said I'm sure others will know more.

Best wishes and cheers,

Simon

P.S. Could you confirm that you receive this, Lisa. I sent something recently to you and it looked as if it did not get through. I think it is a local problem.