[Art_beyond_sight_theory_and_research] art, photography

fnugg at online.no fnugg at online.no
Tue Oct 23 06:18:03 UTC 2012

*

*Watkins Glen students turn blind eye toward art

Acclaimed artist shows youngsters what it's like to create with a visual
impairmentWATKINS GLEN* --- It had the potential to be real messy. It
was, in a controlled sense. Art can be that way.

Plastic coffee and yogurt containers held reservoirs of color for 21
Watkins Glen Elementary School third-graders. They spread paint,
thickly, onto square pieces of Plexiglas. Nearby, a few at a time, built
a blue background for a large painting of a sunflower.

And they all wore goggles, the dollar-store kind, with layers of clear
packing tape covering the lenses.

"It felt weird," said Molly Dunham, 8.

"I just kind of randomly stuck my brush in the paint and then I just
smeared it," said Noah McCauley, 9.

Perhaps for the first time, these 8- and 9-year-old art students were
seeing the world as the visually impaired do, including two third-grade
classmates and guest instructor George Mendoza.

Mendoza, 57, is a legally blind painter, author and textile designer who
came from New Mexico to spend Monday through Thursday at the Watkins
Glen school. A $5,000 grant from the ARTS Council of the Southern Finger
Lakes covered his visit

http://www.stargazette.com/article/20121017/NEWS01/310170082/Watkins-Glen-students-turn-blind-eye-toward-art?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CFRONTPAGE&nclick_check=1

Blind artist visits Watkins Glen
http://www.theithacajournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=CB&Dato=20121017&Kategori=NEWS01&Lopenr=310170046&Ref=PH

Blind artist will bring special skills to Watkins Glen

George Mendoza, a legally blind painter, textile designer and author
from New Mexico, will visit Watkins Glen Elementary School from Oct. 15
to 18.

He will demonstrate his unique artistic expression to staff and
students, and raise awareness about the needs and gifts of blind
students in the building.

Mendoza's work is on display at a Smithsonian-affiliated museum in
Texas. Mendoza experienced vision loss at a young age from an incurable
eye disease. His abstract work reflects his current physical sight
combined with dreams, memories and emotional experiences.

http://www.stargazette.com/article/20121006/NEWS02/310060035/Blind-artist-will-bring-special-skills-Watkins-Glen

Blind artist will bring special skills to Watkins Glen
http://www.stargazette.com/article/20121006/NEWS02/310060035/Blind-artist-will-bring-special-skills-Watkins-Glen?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7CFRONTPAGE%7Cp

article

Being legally blind hasn't kept Joan Lautensack from her needlework
About a decade ago, Joan Lautensack learned that she had age-related
macular degeneration. Accepting the reality that she would likely lose
her vision, the longtime needlework artist began teaching herself how to
work without seeing what she was doing.

"I basically do mostly just free form kind of things --- no counted
cross stitch or anything I have to be specific about where I'm putting
the needle," Lautensack said. The Jeffersonville woman, who began
stitching at a young age, once taught home economics and stitching at
night schools.

Now that she's legally blind, her proactive efforts have paid off, as
Lautensack spends much of her time stitching.

"At some point in my life, maybe 20 to 25 years ago, I decided I was
going to (stitch) a garden in every (needlework) technique," Lautensack
said, explaining that there are many different techniques.
On display at Montgomery County-Norristown Public Library through
October is "probably 25 years or more of work" that Lautensack began
before she was legally blind, and much of which she finished after her
sight began to leave her.

http://www.thereporteronline.com/article/20121008/LIFE01/121009615/being-legally-blind-hasn-t-kept-joan-lautensack-from-her-needlework

A more blind-friendly island?

It's a mixed report card on whether urban changes have all been for the
better

SINGAPORE - At the Marina Bay Sands' ArtScience Museum exhibit, blind
visitors can trace, with their fingers, the outlines of six artworks by
legendary artist Andy Warhol done in an embossed reproduction for their
benefit.

http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC121006-0000041/A-more-blind-friendly-island

Sacramento's Blind artists
http://www.sacbee.com/2012/09/10/4806859/sacramentos-blind-artists.html?mi_rss=Photo%20Galleries

Gallery showcase for blind artist
http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/2923294

Niagara's Do It! listings
Cultural Reflections: Through My Eyes. Selected works in graphite by
visually impaired Ojibwa artist Richard Langlois. 5017 Victoria Ave.,
Niagara Falls.
http://www.wellandtribune.ca/2012/08/23/niagaras-do-it-listings

Seeing life in another dimension

SNAP HAPPY: Josh Wilkinson was born blind which makes his choice of
career remarkable. His devoted parents worked to develop his sight and
he is now a professional photographer.

Josh Wikinson's lifelong dream was always to be a photographer. Which is
kind of strange when you consider the 19-year-old was born blind. But
just like glasses helped him see better as a youngster, the camera these
days acts as his eyes.

Get him behind a lens and he sees things from a whole new dimension.

His work has already won him a national competition and earned him his
own exhibition at Hebden Bridge Arts Centre. Josh could not see anything
as a baby, and for many years his parents, Nigel and Sue Wilkinson, of
Mount Tabor, Halifax, had no idea how his sight would develop.
http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/lifestyle/health-and-family/seeing-life-in-another-dimension-1-3782697