[Art_beyond_sight_theory_and_research] tools and programs

Brunhilde Merk-Adam braillebeats at gmail.com
Sat Feb 1 04:10:46 UTC 2014

The product I was referring to (which is available through IRIE AT) is
the TactiPad which is a frame with measure designations, drawing tools
and a variety of other options (set square, protractor, compass etc.)
There are magnets and a variety of knobs in the frame to allow for
precision drawing, when that is required.   The TactiPad uses "German
film" and a pen.  So the item can be used manually, similar to the
Draftsman sold at APH and equivalent to the paper/pencil drawing analogy.

(The German film is available through APH and IRIE here in the US). I
bought some in Europe in a number of sizes not available here in the US
and use it on the rubber cutting mats sold in craft and sewing stores.

There is a digital pen which can be used with the tactipad that combines
with TactileView software to make a digital drawing, when that is
desired  You can then further make the digital diagram into an
audio-tactile diagram (similar to the TTT or the IVEO).

The Tacti Pad and its options are designed for use by low vision, blind
or sighted users.  The frame is tactile and high contrast yellow/black.
The software has audio components.

Also, for a fast raised line option, Anne Cunningham's Blackboard is
available for use with standard paper.

I can't be much more specific as I have not spent much time with the
product as yet in terms of its digital outputs and or embossing from the
digital outputs.  But I can say the manual version works great and the
extra measuring and geometry tools are wonderful when preparing math
materials.  It allows student independence in geometry assignments.  I
also use it for quick and dirty tactiles to quickly explain a science
concept, create a tactile symbol. graphic layout of a diagram etc.

I am interested in knowing more about the plastic sleeve referenced by
John and wonder if it can be used with the Draftsman, Anne's Blackboard
or the Tactipad as the german film runs around 40 - 50 cents a sheet.  I
think there has also been some movement to create a similar film here in
the US but I don't know where that stands.