[Art_beyond_sight_theory_and_research] 3D Printing Stars: Astronomers Create Tactile Hubb, Penn Museum

fnugg at online.no fnugg at online.no
Mon Jan 27 14:06:43 UTC 2014

Ontario artist uses toothpicks to paint detailed portraits
An Ontario artist captures portraits in great detail with toothpicks and
paint despite his near blindness.
Michael Rilstone, of Grimsby, Ont., went legally blind at the age of 59,
losing sight in one of his eyes within less than 24 hours.
"My retina fell right off and after seven operations they finally got it
to stay, but now I'm just left with just shadowy sight, which is
actually a problem because I see double," Rilstone said.
He became increasingly frustrated with smudging his work with
conventional paint brushes and so began painting with a powerful
magnifying glass and toothpicks.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-artist-uses-toothpicks-to-paint-detailed-portraits-1.2505800?cmp=rss

A Different Perception: Artist Continues Despite Growing Blindness
Standing at the top of the steps leading to his studio in Wassaic, N.Y.,
Joel Foster cuts an impressive figure. In wrinkled khaki cargo shorts,
beige V-neck sweater, tan sneakers, baseball cap covering his shaggy
gray hair and anchored down with a pair of cool shades, he is the
epitome of the working artist. As he shakes my hand and looks straight
at me, smiling, it is difficult to accept the fact that he is blind.
http://www.countytimes.com/articles/2014/01/20/passport/doc52983a2e41a4b020995935.txt?viewmode=fullstory

Artist Samuel Walrond dies at 95
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Artist-Samuel-Walrond-dies-at-95-240940721.html
Arts center program helps those with impaired vision create

http://triblive.com/aande/moreaande/5340854-74/art-arts-vision#axzz2razRfHz8
3D Printing Stars: Astronomers Create Tactile Hubble Images To Help The
Blind Experience Celestial Wonders
http://www.idigitaltimes.com/articles/21528/20140116/3d-printing-stars-space-images-technology-blind.htm
Blind student wins Mars contest
It was literally a touching win Friday at the 25th annual Mars Geography
Bee. The winner was sixth-grader Max Lamm, whose guide dog, Seal,
accompanied him to the gymnasium to compete in the event. Max has been
blind since receiving treatment for stage 5 cancer in both eyes at 9
months old. His proud parents, Eric and Lisa Lamm of Adams Township,
explained that Max prepared for the competition at Mars Middle School by
studying in Braille on a tactile map provided by the school district. He
also read several books on geography. -
http://www.thecranberryeagle.com/article/20140115/CRAN0101/701159823/-1/CRAN01

Lexington One teacher co-authors award-winning book for visually
impaired students
As visually-impaired students begin learning to read by way of Braille,
many also are learning how to navigate their world with help from a
white cane. A Lexington One teacher helped create a brand-new resource
to take away some of the apprehension by introducing the cane in a fun way.
Kara Miller, instructor of students with visual impairments in the
district since 2012, worked with Laura Palko Chartier of the South
Carolina School for the Deaf and Blind to handcraft a one-of-a-kind
children's book.
http://coladaily.com/2014/01/13/lexington-one-teacher-co-authors-award-winning-book-for-visually-impaired-students/

3D space images aid blind
Among the latest uses for 3D printers are tactile 3D pictures to help
blind people get a better understanding of spectacular images being
transmitted from the Hubble Space Telescope. Scientists at Hubble's
operations center said last week they're using a 3D printer to create
representations of stars and star systems for visually impaired people.
The images have been transformed into textures appearing as raised open
circles, lines and dots of varying heights in the 3D printout. The
institute plans to eventually make the 3D images available for schools
and libraries.

http://news.investors.com/011014-686056-3d-space-images-aid-blind.htm
Hubble images become tactile 3-D experience for the blind
http://phys.org/news/2014-01-hubble-images-tactile-d.html

638 -- The Nose Knows: An Olfactory Map of Newport, RI
http://bigthink.com/strange-maps/638-nil-the-nose-knows-an-olfactory-map-of-newport-ri
Photo Release -- 3D Systems Defines 'Perceptual Design' With Touch(TM),
First Ever Consumer Haptic 3D Mouse, Priced At $499
3D Systems
<http://www.globenewswire.com/newsroom/ctr?d=10063230&l=4&a=3D%20Systems&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.3dsystems.com%2F>
(NYSE:DDD) announced today the debut of the first-ever haptic-based,
consumer 3D mouse for intuitive 3D sculpting and design, the Touch^(TM),
with instant force feedback that mimics the sense of physical sculpting.
The Touch works with 3DS' Cubify^® Sculpt^(TM), a powerful virtual
sculpting tool that transforms 3D modeling from a complex,
skills-centric design experience to a simple, easy sculpting delight for
students, designers and hobbyists.
http://www.consumerelectronicsnet.com/article/Photo-Release----3D-Systems-Defines-Perceptual-Design-With-Touch(TM)-First-Ever-Consumer-Haptic-3D-Mouse-Priced-At-499-2996958
Teenager Liam's book boost for blind charity
"Wildlife is particularly interesting, because I may not have seen a
badger or a seagull and might have no idea what to imagine.
"So these packs are a terrific help."
http://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/news/10911422.Teenager_Liam___s_book_boost_for_blind_charity/

Artist Paints His Vision Seven Years After Going Completely Blind
http://www.parentherald.com/articles/3484/20140101/artist-paints-vision-seven-years-going-completely-blind.htm

Hands provide vision for blind clay artist
"I've lost my color vision and a lot of detail," said the 59-year-old
native New Englander, trying to describe to a visitor the formless gray,
black and white images her eyes faintly make out.
Instead, she sees with her hands.
"For me," she said, "my sense of touch is my vision."

http://posttrib.suntimes.com/news/24414564-418/hands-provide-vision-for-blind-clay-artist.html

Israeli artist uses Braille in art to aid visually impaired
When Turkish blind painter Esref Armagan first started to paint, absence
of visual acuity was never a hindrance. There were times when he painted
the sea and thought he'd need a life-jacket to save him from drowning.
Cut to contemporary Israeli artist Roy Nachum, who believes vision is
only one such barrier which obstructs the perception of art. In his most
recent art works, Roy Nachum based in New York, has incorporated Braille
into paintings to expand on the possibility of making art accessible to
the visually impaired.
http://freepressjournal.in/israeli-artist-uses-braille-in-art-to-aid-visually-impaired/

Partially blind artist displays artwork of flowers
Maggie Love is living proof that age is but a number.
Love, who suffers from partial blindness as a result of macular
degeneration, will display 15 paintings at University Mall as part of
its Artist of the Month program.
http://www.dailytarheel.com/article/2013/12/maggie-love-1202

Artist incorporates Braille into paintings so visually impaired can
experience artwork
Roy Nachum, 34, sculpts poems in Braille as backgrounds for his oil
paintings as a way for the visually impaired to appreciate his work. His
art --- which will be featured at the POSH Arts & Interiors auction
Monday --- also experiments with color-blindness tests and reflective
props, urging viewers with sight to confront their own limitations.
http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/artist-incorporates-braille-poems-paintings-article-1.1527065

Philadelphia museum tells blind visitors: Please touch!

Angel Ayala has never been a big fan of museums. Blind since birth, the
high school student says the exhibits are so sight-dependent that he
can't enjoy them.

But he's making an exception for the Penn Museum, an archaeology and
anthropology center that offers touch tours for the blind and visually
impaired. Ayala can now feel the eroded limestone of an ancient Egyptian
sarcophagus and the intricate hieroglyphs on the statue of a pharaoh.

"When I touch things, it's my version of a sighted person's eyes. It
tells me way more than a person describing it would ever," Ayala said.

The institution, which is part of the University of Pennsylvania in
Philadelphia, began offering the tours last year in an effort to make
its extensive collections more accessible. Museums should serve the
community at large, and that includes the unsighted as well as the
sighted, said program co-ordinator Trish Maunder.
same text- different photos
http://www.southbendtribune.com/life/travel/article_b837d722-6580-11e3-8c09-001a4bcf6878.html
http://www.dailylocal.com/lifestyle/20131227/pa-museum-tells-blind-visitors-please-touch
http://www.masslive.com/entertainment/index.ssf/2013/12/travel_pennsylvania_museum_tel.html
http://www.redding.com/news/2013/dec/12/philadelphia-museum-tells-blind-visitors-please-to/
http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/living/lifestyles/1023432-469/museum-tells-visitors-please-touch.html#

Elliott and Trent Phillips were making Christmas cards Saturday, but
they weren't drawing, as they do at home.

"I just wrote my name in Braille," Elliot said as he glued a pipe
cleaner onto a Christmas tree cut from what resembled sparkling sandpaper.

The Phillips twins were among a group of children gathered at the
American Printing House for the Blind for the annual Holiday Card
Factory, which brings the blind and those with sight together to make
greetings that appeal to the sense of touch, rather than sight