[Art_beyond_sight_theory_and_research] painters, sculptors

fnugg at online.no fnugg at online.no
Fri May 2 06:12:14 UTC 2014

Artist doesn't let blindness keep him from painting
A new art exhibit will be on display at the Aucocisco Gallery in
Portland. One of the artist's showcased is Denis Boudreau, whose pieces
have been popular in and around Portland for decades. The man behind the
canvas has a story that will change the way you look at art.

After serving in the Vietnam War for two years, Denis Boudreau slowly
lost all vision in both of his eyes as a result of debris from mortars
and landmines. An artist since childhood, his first thought was that he
would have to hang up the paint brushes.
http://www.wlbz2.com/story/news/local/207/2014/04/30/artist-doesnt-let-blindness-keep-him-from-painting/8528729/

Blind artist takes up sculpture at 94

Some say art is life. Creating art is a way of sharing your vision of
the world with others. But what happens when that vision disappears?

Painter Charlotte Wood, 94, found out when she went blind nearly 20
years ago.

"I knew I had to find some way of occupying my time and my mind," Wood
explains.

She knew she couldn't paint anymore, but recently she decided she'd like
to try her hand at sculpture. She felt she could "feel" her way through.
Betty Kyle, Charlote's daughter, spent six  months contacting art
schools, museums and universities, but they seemed obsessed with words
like "handicapped" and "liability," rather than finding Charlotte an
outlet to express herself. That is, until she found Michael Kirby's
Sculpture Workshop online.
http://newsfixnow.com/2014/04/25/blind-artist-takes-up-sculpture-at-94/
http://thesculptureworkshop.com/

The Sculptor Who Will Never See Her Work
http://www.houstoniamag.com/news-and-profiles/people-and-profiles/articles/the-sculptor-who-will-never-see-her-work-april-2014

Legally-Blind Canadian Artist Enlists Naturopathic Diet to Regain Sight
& Resume Painting
http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/1863820

Artist Richard Clark thrives despite degenerative eye disease

... His condition hasn't stopped him from pursuing his passion. Like
Monet, whose paintings became more abstract as his sight worsened, Clark
paints what he sees. He dismisses the occasional critic who says his
work needs more detail.

"My concept of creating the artwork," Clark said, "is to get the general
visualization from light to dark, from the viewpoint of the blind and
visually impaired as opposed to somebody sighted."

His recent painting, "Homeward Bound" is a study in darks and lights,
deep indigo against brilliant yellow and orange.

Clark has been using a closed-circuit TV, which magnifies what he is
painting and displays it on a monitor,

http://www.concordmonitor.com/home/11616177-95/artist-richard-clark-thrives-despite-degenerative-eye-disease

An art gallery with Hart: Main Street venue deals in works created by
homeless, disabled
http://timesfreepress.com/news/2014/apr/13/art-gallery-hart-main-street-venue-deals-wor/

  Legally blind, sculptor David Stephens continues to make art

David Stephens, at 72 years of age, is a man quietly on a mission - to
not let anything keep him from his art.

In his exhibition "Auguries of Idolatry" at the Center for Art in Wood,
his sculptures loom large, some of them 9 feet tall. The wooden altars
are devoted to Stephens' deceased family members, ancestors, and
acquaintances, flanked by structures that resemble stools made for
offerings.

Declared legally blind in 1979 due to glaucoma, the renowned
Philadelphia artist continues to produce works that reveal a dynamic,
sharp vision.

"I visualize my work mentally like someone who can see; you
conceptualize it," said Stephens. "For the most part, I work alone, but
sometimes with assistance to mix colors and grid the braille."

http://articles.philly.com/2014-04-11/news/49035191_1_braille-west-philadelphia-art-international

Study Up For 'Think:' How Does A Blind Man Paint? Watch A North Texas
Artist In Action
John Bramblitt started losing his sight when he was 11, because of a
seizure disorder. He makes striking paintings by drawing with fabric
paint and, using the raised lines as a guide, filling in with oil paint.
Watch him at work before he joins /Think /host Krys Boyd along with
Meadows Museum Director of Education Dr. Carmen Smith at noon.

http://keranews.org/post/study-think-how-does-blind-man-paint-watch-north-texas-artist-action