[Art_beyond_sight_theory_and_research] {Spam?} {Disarmed} The Blind Photographer, TouchBase

fnugg at online.no fnugg at online.no
Tue Aug 30 09:46:15 UTC 2016

Virtual reality film to show life through visually-impaired man's eyes

There was some cutting-edge technology being used at the University of
Regina on Tuesday.

A production crew is shooting a virtual reality film about a man who
recently arrived in Saskatchewan from Syria.

Hani al Moulia is a visually-impaired photographer who has come to
national prominence for his work capturing photos of his experience as a
refugee.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/virtual-reality-film-visually-impaired-man-eyes-1.3733340

Finding Refuge | The story of Hany al Moulia, Syrian Refugee
21-year-old Hany al Moulia is a Syrian refugee who now lives in Regina,
Sask. Al Moulia captured life in a refugee camp in Lebanon in a series
of images, from his little brother's shadow to a makeshift barber shop.
His stunning images record life in a refugee camp that are both
heartbreaking and beautiful, revealing both hope and despair, but what
makes it particularly remarkable is that al Moulia is legally blind. He
suffers from nystagmus, an eye condition that causes rapid eye movement;
in his case, everything is out of focus unless it’s 10 centimetres from
his face.
http://www.cjfe.org/almoulia

Seeing in the dark: blind photographers talk about their work

hotography has allowed me to be visually impaired,” says Tanvir Bush.
“You can feel very looked at when you are out with your guide dog taking
pictures and it is good to be able to direct that energy back just by
returning that gaze with your camera. In a very real way, photography
has freed me.”

Bush is one of several photographers from around the globe whose work
features in an intriguing new book from Redstone Press entitled /The
Blind Photographer/. Like many of the practitioners therein, whose work
ranges from staged art photography to straight documentary and
portraiture, she is not totally blind, but suffers from retinitis
pigmentosa, a degenerative disease that leads to loss of peripheral
vision and eventual blindness. “I had worked previously as a film
producer and had always deferred to the director and cinematographer,”
she says, “so it was very exciting for me to find my own unique voice
though photography. It was a huge creative breakthrough for me.”

Like others in the book, both Smithen and Bush use photography as a
liberating means of self-expression, even though it is not their primary
medium. “I’m a novelist, first and foremost,” says Bush, “and
interestingly, it would never enter my mind to consider myself a blind
novelist. Because photography is not the thing I aspire to, I don’t mind
the description so much, but if it was my life the way writing is, I
would not allow anyone to put me in that box.”

/The Blind Photographer is published by Redstone Press (£29.95) on 8
September. To order a copy go to //www.theredstoneshop.com/
<http://www.theredstoneshop.com/products/the-blind-photographer>

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2016/aug/20/blind-photographers-talk-about-their-work

http://www.ojosquesienten.com/?webSyncID=c720ada1-a061-bde0-d60b-70bb2207cb5b&sessionGUID=e716ed4c-0b1d-ecad-8b2a-ece68b973426

http://www.ojosquesienten.com/fotografia-sensorial/

TouchBase – A multi-sensory project with Sense UK
A sensory photography project for people who are deafblind or with
sensory impairment.
https://photovoice.org/sense/

A sensory photography project for people who are deafblind or with
sensory impairment.
http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/how-painting-helped-blind-artist-see-the-light-1-8084800

Blind artist with a unique view on life + Turkish Baths fiasco

http://www.harrogateadvertiser.co.uk/news/blind-artist-with-a-unique-view-on-life-turkish-baths-fiasco-1-8079236