[Art_beyond_sight_theory_and_research] Linespace youtube video, Sight Unseen exhibit Winnipeg

fnugg at online.no fnugg at online.no
Wed Mar 9 14:57:26 UTC 2016

Hi, Linespace is really interesting. Sent link to it in last mail. Link
to youtube video following
Rutgers and 3D articles
http://www.3ders.org/articles/20160226-3d-printing-tactile-maps-for-the-blind-and-visually-impaired.html
http://www.thestatesman.com/news/science-and-tech/3d-printer-creates-braille-maps-for-visually-impaired/126209.html
http://3dprint.com/120917/rutgers-3d-printed-maps/
http://news.rutgers.edu/news/braille-maps-blind-and-visually-impaired-created-3-d-printing-technology-rutgers/20160221#.VuAuS__2afA

How Technology Is Helping the Blind Navigate the Physical World
http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2016/02/how_technology_helps_the_blind_navigate_the_physical_world.html

Linespace Youtube video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O_83U7P3bM

New Scientist

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2076693-3d-printed-display-lets-blind-people-explore-images-by-touch/

Link to article institute

http://hpi.de/baudisch/projects/linespace.html

You might want to have a look at the other projects, papers at
Hasso-Plattner Institut.
I came across Protopiper there. Really cool! I want one. It makes
protoypes of things life size with tubes of tape.Thinking there must be
uses for it in making accessible Images. Perhaps quickly make a scaled
down dinosaur? Not palm size but 5 ft tall say.
The other really neat part about it is that they give the instructions
for making the tool oneself.
http://hpi.de/baudisch/projects/protopiper.html
http://www.instructables.com/id/Protopiper-Physically-Sketching-Room-sized-Objects/

BaltimoreLink Maps Available for Individuals With Visual Impairments
To address the problem, CMRT, in conjunction with MTA and NFB, created a
series of BaltimoreLink descriptive maps that enable individuals,
regardless of visual ability, to understand the numerous changes that
will impact Baltimore transit riders. This accessibility project, which
was done free of charge, takes the user through a textual turn-by-turn
description of where the route begins, the direction of travel
throughout the route, significant stops and transfer points, and where
the route ends. This descriptive method can complement visual maps and
serve as a wayfinding tool for persons using screen-reading software
such as JAWS or VoiceOver.
http://www.masstransitmag.com/press_release/12159889/descriptive-baltimorelink-transit-improvement-maps-now-available-for-individuals-with-visual-impairments

Telling stories with light and touch
What would it be like to create images in the absence of light?
googletag.impl.pubads.createDomIframe("a1_lifestyle_imu_ad_container"
,"/5908/asiaonelifestyle/imu1_0",false,false); This question prompted
full-time artist Alecia Neo, 29, to work with people with varying
degrees of visual impairment for the past three years.While doing her
residency at an art studio in Taiwan in 2012, she organised a month-long
photography workshop where she met six visually impaired
participants.When she returned to Singapore, she started a mentorship
programme with seven visually impaired students from Ahmad Ibrahim
Secondary School to create artwork
http://news.asiaone.com/news/lifestyle/telling-stories-light-and-touch

Sight Unseen Exhibit: Blind Artists are True Visionaries with Photos,
Videos & 3D Printed Works
Have you ever tried to imagine what it’s like to be blind? Most of us
have at one point or another made a feeble attempt, with a blindfold, or
our eyes squinting shut, to see if we could grope our way around the
house successfully for a good five minutes at most, with our arms out in
front of us, batting around at walls and objects. That might give you a
good, quick sense of being in the dark for a short time, but when you
tire of the game, it’s back to expediently cooking a nice meal and
cleaning up dirty dishes with ease, driving yourself wherever you’d like
to go, heading to the latest moveie with friends, and doing all the
things we take for granted—like getting dressed and seeing yourself in
the mirror, going to work and attending classes—and tending to our
favorite hobbies in what free time is left.....
Now, visually impaired photographers like Tara Miller and Pete Eckert
have their viewers doing the adapting as they peer into another world,
also represented in 3D printed form, in a new exhibition of photographs,
videos and artwork called /Sight Unseen: International Photography by
Blind Artists <https://humanrights.ca/exhibit/sight-unseen>//. /The
display can be seen in Winnipeg//at the Canadian Museum for Human Rights
<https://humanrights.ca/home> from February 20th to September 18th.
http://3dprint.com/120864/sight-unseen-photos-3d-print/

Blind photographers hope exhibit of work will expose talent, shatter
stereotypes

When amateur photographer Tara Miller lost most of her vision in high
school, she did what most people would expect—she put her camera away.

It wasn’t until years later that Miller picked up a camera again and
discovered a much richer experience. She used her keen hearing, the
feeling of the lens focusing on a subject and even her sense of smell to
frame an image.

“When I’m composing an image, I’m not really using my eyesight,” said
Miller, now a professional commercial photographer in Winnipeg.

“There’s no difference with us being visually impaired or legally blind
photographers. If we’re comfortable in what we’re shooting, we’re going
to get that same result as someone who’s fully sighted.”

Blind photographers like Miller are hoping a new exhibit at Winnipeg’s
Canadian Museum for Human Rights, opening to the public this weekend and
running until September, will help showcase talent and break down
stereotypes surrounding the visually impaired.

http://www.canadianinquirer.net/2016/02/19/blind-photographers-hope-exhibit-of-work-will-expose-talent-shatter-stereotypes/