[Artists-making-art] Introduction from Jewel

Heather Kirkwood hkdawn at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 4 06:48:26 UTC 2011

Jewel, please forgive the slow response. I'm catching up on e-mail. I've been traveling, and of course, typical me - got sick on the road. I guess it wouldn't be a trip without drama and adding a new hospital to my tour of great American hospitals! Groan!

Anyway, I'm envious of all the creativity here, and all the really interesting and creative ways people are doing art. I love what I do, but I certianly wouldn't mind expanding my horizons and learning new things! I already have learned some things I hope to try out when life settles down a bit.

My mom was an art teacher. When I was a baby, she'd buy these big roles of newsprint and lay me in the middle with jumbo crayons.

Growing up, everyone pointed to my artwork to "prove" I wasn't really "blind" and didn't really need all of the services that entailed. In a strange sort of way, being good at something strictly "visual" has bitten me in the butt over the years.

My vision is 20/400. I have a rare form of albinism called Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome. It also involves a lot of other health issues etc. For us, perhaps the best way to explain our vision is that everyone else is looking at the world through the newest, greatest high definition TV, while we're using the 1950s set (only we do see color.) We don't see details well. Over the years, I've learned to study what I'm going to paint ahead of time. I look at photos (or take my own) and use magnification to study them until I pretty much almost have them memorized - but in peices. Then, when I paint, I put the picture together in my head and put in details that actually if I were looking at the subject, I very well might not really see. When I can't see something, I just make up something to put in it's place.

I love to draw, and am really anxious to try some of the drawing boards people have spoken about.

Heather Kirkwood
Director of Outreach, Vice President
Hermansky-Pudlak Syndrome Network
One South Road
Oyster Bay, NY 11771
1 (800) 789-9HPS
www.hpsnetwork.org

Personal blog: www.heatherkirkwood.blogspot.com

Search the Web at www.goodsearch.com and choose the HPS Network as your charity!

HPS New York Conference - March 16-18, 2012