[Artists-making-art] my intro

Ghkitchen ghkitchen at comcast.net
Tue Nov 29 02:25:19 UTC 2011

Hi all,

 My name is Georgia and I   just joined the list. I am a  totally blind
beginning handbuild clay student at our local art institute. I am still
exploring ways to make my work look more attractive. There are lots of
things you can make with coils.  So far, I have made a large  bowl, medium
size pot, a couple cookie plates etc. I am still looking for hints--like on
what tool is best for cutting out around a plate, or other item. I found so
far that  placing the slab of clay (after I put it through the slab roller)
was to  turn the plate over and  then cut off the excess clay. That way I
could feel the side of the plate and have contact with my knife with the
bottom of the table. I am not sure if I will ever hav show work like my
husband does with his woodworking. I enjoy the class and I have fun meeting
new people. Sometimes, the students in the class have better ideas on
adaptive techniques than the teacher. However, she is also a good potter.
She has wanted me to get on the wheel but I haven't felt well enough
physically. I think I may need some private instruction a couple times to
see if I can really do the wheel. Pottery is so popular here that they are
building on another studio . Have a good evening.
Best,
Georgia