[Artists-making-art] my introduction

Patricia C. Estes pece03 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 20:42:33 UTC 2011

This is Patty Estes in Maine and have no "intro" written up, but at
fifty-eight, where to begin??
This discussion of textile art is fascinating...it's just what I needed. I
have a two foot square lap type of loom and just told my daughter in law
that I decided to keep it for myself, even though I've never used it! I
thought I could use it for wall hangings and such. I grew up in a very
creative, artsy family with my mom an art instructor locally and with
private students in the home. I began with realistic pencil sketches, than
went to fashion line drawing, then to being a mother!! I have done
paintings, but as my vision has changed, my paintings have become more
impressionistic and I am drawn to stick things onto the canvas! "Oh,
multi-media!" one clerk in an art store declared what I do. I suppose, I
just want to enjoy what I do...after the fact, too. so a piece of mica
becomes the sun over water, etc. My painting has gone from realistic
representation to impressionistic to just plain intuitive art...like going
from a bright Renoir (of course I am not at that level, just using his
palette to make a point!) to a muted, washed out Monet...which I never liked
much. But this is the way I now see, it seems.
And he apparently had RP.
I got out some of my formals that I had designed and my mother sewed up for
me and am still in love with the fabric and can't part with it. so, thought
of cutting strips and weaving. We'll see. I have the same small motor
limitations, but also have the absolute need to use what color/texture that
I still can!
I write, also, but sometimes words just don't do it.

thank you for this timely discussion,
Patty Estes
Auburn, Maine