[Artists-making-art] Art Exhibit at Dallas Convention

Susan Ledder susan.e.ledder at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 19:33:06 UTC 2012

Hi,

  I am interested in exhibiting some of my works but I am not sure that I
will be attending the convention this year. I am an office manager for a
community of churches (managing membership files, creating bulletins for 4
services - sometimes 5- etc.) It is difficult for me to be away at NFB
convention time because that is when the United Methodist church has pastor
changes, etc.

   I have both art that is tactile and non-tactile works. In answer to "what
is tactile": "Tactile art" is an expression that is readable by other means
that using vision, so a painting that is only one flat surface  with color
and line applied to it in non-tactile mediums do not qualify as tactile. But
if the surface has different weaves of cloth, or other objects imbedded in a
medium that is on a flat surface, that does qualify as a "tactile" art work.
Of course, sculpture does qualify and personally I believe that some jewelry
also qualifies. Pre-vision loss, I also made Ukrainian style eggs with bees
wax and many of these qualify as art works as each one was an individual
creation - though many artists consider them "craft works". If anyone else
has a different definition, let us hear it.

  I have paintings that are bordered with puff paint so that the final
painting is kind of like a stained glass window. I also work in watercolor
without bordering the shapes with puff paint. I also have made collages of
cloth and beads pasted on art board. And I have been a sculptor in clay and
plaster. I have a good number of paintings, but have sold or given most of
my other works away. And I I am reluctant to ship my work when I won't be
there.

  I have also done workshops  but as I said I am not sure that I can get the
time off this year.

Susan Eddy Ledder [SEddy]