[Artists-making-art] Hello all

Lynda Lambert via Artists-making-art artists-making-art at nfbnet.org
Tue May 27 12:28:12 UTC 2014

Hi Amanda,
I went to your website. Your crafts store is not working - it brings up
nothing but an apology that it is not working. Did you know that?

The idea that you have for a website is a good one and your page title
should bring in visitors - but if there is no graphics and photos on any
pages a sighted viewer will not stay there at all. To sell your work
on-line, you will need to post some nice photos with the infirmation about
sizes, fiber content, color, etc.  I would suggest you visit some other
craft sites and compare your site with some other ones to get a grasp on
what works for other people, too.

As for potty training advice - I had six children - all grown up now with
children of their own.

Make a special "potty toy" basket. Put toys in it that can only be given to
the child to play with when he is on the potty. Make it very special so that
he wants to be on the potty more often so he can play with those special
"potty toys."

Stay with him the entire time he is on the potty - and don't make it for
very long as they cannot sit still for more than a few minutes. Stay with
him and play with the special toys with him and keep reinforcing that these
toys are for good little boys who are learning how to be a big boy who does
his potty on the big potty.

I created special names for what the natural body functions are: tinkle for
urine elimination; birdies, for bowel movement. I have heard many other
creative and fun words that are nice words the child can use in public
without any embarrasing words that you would not want anyone to hear your
child say.
One child called her urine elimination, "toy-toy."  Make up something fun
and special.

I created a little basket that was filled with wrapped gifts - just little
things that would be a reward for when we had a success.  Keep the basket up
high so he cannot get into it - bring it down for him to select a wrapped
gift when he is successful.  It can be some little things from the dollar
store, crayons, coloring book, little toy cars, a bit of candy, etc.

Begin to show him some colorful "pull ups" and tell him when he starts to do
his business on the potty, then he can start to wear one of these pull-ups.
Make a very big deal of it - make it something he really wants to wear.

When he is successful, do a "happy potty dance" with him.  Dance about the
room, clap your hands and sing a little song the two of you create as you
celebrate his success. Let him associate his potty successes with
celebration and happiness. Give him lots of praise.

You do not say how old your child is, but remember that a boy takes much
longer to train than does a girl. The boy brain is very far behind,
developementally, than the girl brain. A great book to read on this topic -
and I wish I had read such a book when my children were small - is The
Female Brain.  I learned so much about the physical developement of male and
female brains and it begins in the womb - and spans the lifetime of a
person. You will learn so much by reading this book, and you will be so much
better to understand what your son can do and when.

Since you enjoy crafts you might create something special to display on the
refrigerator - a special way of acknowledging his potty lsuccesses. What can
you do together? Think of something that he will really be proud of and do
it together. Good LUCK.

Just a few musings and hope this helps you a bit.  Lynda