[blindkid] Specifying a particular school in the IEP

Carrie Gilmer carrie.gilmer at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 19:01:26 UTC 2008

Dear Doug,
It is understandable why you are looking at and desiring this magnet school
program. It sounds as if she appears to all involved as academically capable
for that level and is ready to be challenged--the main reason to send her in
my opinion-the same as for any child.

In order for it to be in her IEP you would have to show why she could not
get a free and appropriate education at her local school but could get one
at the magnet. The IDEA unfortunately says nothing about "best"
education...only appropriate. You have to show she has a unique SPECIAL ED>
need for the magnet school. It is hard for me to understand how her
blindness alone could require her to have an education there... except, does
it offer more hands on, more multi-sensory?, the time you mention to work on
her non-visual techniques, I am unclear how going to the magnet gives her
more time in her day...but these are the kinds of things that would be
specialized ed.  reasons.

 If you could show she is hindered at her present school and helped by the
curriculum to meet her specific needs then they may agree. Then if they
place her there in the IEP-they have to take her. I would say this is a
pretty difficult standard for you to meet. And I would say that you meet it
without bias--that is, Is it truly the place where she can get access and
get the most appropriate least restrictive education?...according to her
blindness. Or is it just the best place for her mind like it might be for
any other kid of her brightness? Are you trying to "use" her blindness to
get her in--if you follow me. You will have to list the pros and cons and
her needs and build a reasoned argument according to the laws for placement
unless you have an eager team who would really like to see her there and
agrees readily that her most appropriate ed. can only happen there.

It is likely that you will have to apply and take your chances like everyone
else, and I recommend that you do so even if you try the other route as
well. Likely everyone would prefer not to "gamble".

 Is there another option if you get on a waiting list... a gifted route
through the main schools? Most districts have multiple avenues for gifted
kids these days. My son (blind-senior in H.S.) and current sixth grade
(sighted) daughter both did not want to travel to magnet schools but have
found gifted programs and classes in their regular schools all the way from
elementary to graduation. Every year there seems to be a new class added.

Cordially,

Carrie Gilmer, President
A Division of the National Federation of the Blind
NFB National Center: 410-659-9314
Home Phone: 763-784-8590
carrie.gilmer at gmail.com
www.nfb.org/nopbc